Saturday 7 January 2023

From Barks: Greyscale Gangster (Black and White)(25 points)

Angels with Filthy Souls is a highly-quotable 80 second metafilm, created for and shown within the classic Home Alone (1990). Starring Ralph Foody as Johnny and Michael Guido as Snakes, it is an homage to the gangster classic Angels with Dirty Faces (1938). There is a good Vanity Fair article about it here.


This is a free digital figure from Wargames Atlantic. The barrel is a bit delicate, but it was a fun figure to paint. I like the shirt garters! I was heavily influenced by Carmen 'Fun Painty Time' Cerra as I learned about greyscale and value painting. I was lucky to have a black and white source to refer to!




I started with a black undercoat, drybrushed white. I used a dark grey highlighted with a mid grey, the mid grey highlighted with a light grey, and the light grey highlighted with white. There's room for improvement with the tommy gun and maybe I could pick out the tie pattern, but that was enough for now. I'm not going to start a whole greyscale project- but it would be fun...

1x 28mm figure (5 points)

Black and White set (20 points)


Nice looking gangster, Barks. You seem to have nailed the greyscale nicely, having an easy reference to draw from must have made things a bit easier. I never knew that the movie clips in Home Alone were created just for that film. You learn something new every day.

27 comments:

  1. I grew up with black and white tv, and I used to “think up” the colours. This figure is painted so well that I felt the same: who needs colour tv anyway? A cracking figure and a fun story as well, Barks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colourised black and white films are the worst!

      Delete
  2. I too am old enough to have had a B&W TV and been told to stand holding the rabbit ears so my mum could watch. Great greyscale gangster gunslinger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Barks, really nice mate

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice greyscale work, Barks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Keep the change", nice results, still psyching myself up for the black and white studio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, classic gangsters are an inspired choice for B&W. Well done, Barks! 'Keep the change' indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a new technique for me- thanks for the opportunity!

      Delete
  7. Good looking gangster and thanks for sharing the recipe. I might try it myself sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking gangster!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are a braver man than me, I think you have done this gangster up exceedingly well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pick for the B&W theme mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy when I thought of it!

      Delete
  11. Excellent choice for B+W. Gangsters always a good choice. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a genre I haven't really looked into previously.

      Delete