Saturday 7 January 2023

From GregB - Rebel Alliance Troopers (89 Points)

Rebel Pathfinders and a heavy support weapon for "Star Wars".

My third submission to AHPC XIII sticks with the Star Wars setting, and picks things up right where I left off at AHPC XII. This is a group of Rebel Alliance troopers - most of them "pathfinders" intended to supplement the ranks of Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso's team that I painted last March. There is also one rebel trooper ready to employ a liberated Imperial heavy laser against its previous owners. All of these are independent 3D sculpts, printed in the unique and oddly large scale of the "Star Wars: Legion" game.

View showing the rear of the fatigues, and some of the kit you can put on their belts etc.

The "Legion" rules themselves are almost unplayably baroque, riven with mindless, card-driven complexity for no good reason and table that rapidly fills with a cloud of chit-style markers. But sometimes you need to separate the figures from the rules, and the "Legion" figures have been a lot of fun to paint, and because there is a great variety of rules you can use them for, they are worth getting. Since relocating to Ontario, I've no longer been able to take for granted that a "Star Wars" game could be whipped together at a moment's notice (which is 110% possible with my great friends in Winnipeg). So in the past couple of years, I have started painting up/collecting my own "Star Wars" figures and models - when I see them, I think of my friends, and hey, they are also ready for a game at any time, right?

Selection of the Pathfinders - equipped with A-300 blasters in "long range" configuration.

The "Rebel Pathfinders" from Fantasy Flight Games (I still use that name, as I have utterly given up keeping track of their endless corporate reorganization bullsh*t) are fine figures, but the pack is quite specific, and you really cannot use the box to build up a more generic force of "Pathfinder" type troops the way you can with the more generic Rebel infantry in the starter box. I really liked the look of the Rebels who fought on the the islands at the Imperial base on Scarif, and wished I could find more troopers with that look to add to my collection. 

Officer in the middle with a pistol - and the set also included a discarded Shore Trooper helmet, so I put that on the base to mark him out. The other two Pathfinders are carrying A-300 blasters in their short range, carbine-style configuration.

What to do? It was hardly a problem - just enter the vast, and incredibly talented world of 3D sculptors and printers dedicated to Star Wars! This "Modular Pathfinder Battalion" was a bit pricey, but fit the bill perfectly - the right mix of helmets, of fatigues and the different blasters used by the Pathfinders, including the odd rifles and carbines that have what seem to be air-cooled barrels...that makes no sense, but why should it, right??? I love it. 

Like so many good projects, these sat in the "pending pile" for months, and as AHPC XIII loomed, I thought it would be good to get them done! They are painted in colours to match the "Pathfinders" from the FFG box I painted last March.

A "liberated" E-web blaster - the sculptor did a great job on this 3D printed design - the Rebel trooper looks to be really enjoying using this weapon against the Empire!

And, when shopping online, it is very rare that I buy just ONE thing, so when I spotted the figure of the Rebel trooper with the heavy laser, well, it just sort of click-fell into my online basket. The colours here are only slightly different, so she could fight with the Pathfinders, or with the more generic Rebel infantry I had painted previously. 

Another view of the gunner. I'm sure nothing will go wrong if a stray blaster shot hits that generator, right?

I now have enough infantry for a fun scenario where the brave Rebels must launch a daring raid on an Imperial base - and really, is there any other kind of raid, right? But the pendulum in my collection, having swung to the Rebel side, looks like it needs to get back to the bad guys...hopefully there will be more to share in that regard as this edition of the Challenge proceeds.

For the Rebellion!

For scoring, we have 12 Legion-sized infantry models, which had been scored as 40mm figures (7 points-per) in the past, and one crew-served weapon, albeit not a very big one, so I see that as only counting for another 5 points. In all, 89 points toward my target. Thanks for reading, and may the Force be with all of us - or at least, our brushes!


A cracking bunch of rebels, Greg. I've only tried the Legion game once and I agree about there being too many cards and chits floating around. It was fun though. The 3D printed models really look the part, I hope you have the chance to get a few games in with your friends soon.

35 comments:

  1. “When shopping online, it’s very rare that I buy just one thing” That is hilarious, and also so very instantly recognisable 😂. Those rebels look absolutely great, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see Star Wars stuff it tugs at me .. “buy me”. Your not helping .. lovely stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came out very nicely Greg. Good luck finding a game to live up to them

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great Greg, really like them

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. That thing about the online shopping...guilty as charged!

    Great bunch of Rebel Scum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the painting on these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, these guys look amazeballs. The 3d community for SW is incredible. Beautiful brushwork, dude. I love the E-web blaster set - the gunner's expression is analogous to me when I manage to block a pimped-out truck from lane-hopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! Yes, the expression on the gunner is perfect.

      Delete
  8. These are some fine rebels, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its always a pleasure to see what you paint Greg, those are superb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid looking rebels and a lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. great colour choices Greg and I totally love the little details on the bases!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work mate. I especially like that green. I have some on the way and mine will be a totally different look. One of the great things about the Rebels is the freedom to interpret the look as you want

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy! I agree the "blank slate" offered by a setting on the scale of "Star Wars" is a great appeal. Looking forward to seeing your own Rebels!

      Delete
  13. Superb stuff Greg, I love the punchy green you used on these and nice job mixing the official and 3rd party models. SW stl file producers are a slippery slope, I have a sizeable library to add to my ‘lead’ pile.

    For some reason I find myself on a SW kick this Challenge…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - and yes, it is a slippery slope of "oh, just one more"...but so much of the third party 3D stuff is so well done, it's worth it.

      Delete
  14. Excellent work dude! For rules I highly recommend "Galactic Heroes" as evangelized by Dave V!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas! I'm hoping "Xenos Rampant" might do the trick too...

      Delete
  15. These are excellent prints and great brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great set of Pathfinders, Greg! These are some of my favourite looking troops in Star Wars.

    Always ready for a game pushing around SW figs.

    ReplyDelete