Saturday 7 January 2023

From Barks: Army of the Dead (105 points)

A quick 21 figures here. The Dead of Dunharrow are well sculpted, with cadaverous faces and animated sculpts flowing over the ground. 




I wasn't sure how to paint these: film-accurate greenish or a more pleasing verdigris-blue tone. I did a test between two different Contrast paints over a white undercoat, then drybrushed Army Painter Spaceship Exterior. I settled on blue-grey Briar Queen Chill over green Hexwraith Flame.


Hexwraith Flame vs Briar Queen Chill, both drybrushed grey

In The Return of the King (2003), the King of the Dead has a red hue to his cloak. I painted this with Flesh Tearers Red before the same application of Contrast and drybrush as the rest. It is subtly different and I'm happy with the outcome.

Before

After Briar Queen Chill and drybrush grey

21x 28mm figures (105 points)



Lovely work on these ghostly chaps, Barks. I agree that the blue-grey works better for them than the green. The king's cloak has just enough red showing through to stand out, but not enough to overpower the colour scheme as a whole. 105 spooky points well earned.

44 comments:

  1. Very nice Barks - and thanks for sharing the different painting recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to earn the five points per model for a super easy job!

      Delete
  2. Very nice job! Briar queen chill was the right choice. I will have to use this formula myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a recent addition to the Contrast range, and as soon as I saw it I knew I would use it for these chaps.

      Delete
  3. Liking these. They came out very well, especially the red cloak

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Barks, love the contrast over a coloured base - will have to give that a try some time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed at how well it covered a vibrant colour.

      Delete
  5. I have a bunch of these to paint and I like your "recipe"- I think I may pinch it, as yours turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Barks. I've always liked these figures. Great tone you've achieved. I wonder what a mix of the two would look like? I like using Contrast over established colours as it can give some very cool results, like you've achieved here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are some very cool combos and effects that could be achieved- but speed was important here!

      Delete
  7. Good end choice of colour …

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those really are excellent and its interesting to see the thinking behind the paintwork

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'm with you here. Blueish ghosts look better and that red cloak is ace. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The green is a bit Scooby-Doo-ish.

      Delete
  10. Lovely choice of colours and a great result!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome oathbreakers Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes nice stuff and agree with your choice for the final colour!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look great. I like how you have done the cloak. I found trying this ghostly colour is harder than it at first looks to be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choice of colour, the king’s cloak looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work. Great choice of colours, really evocative of the movie feel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are a toxic green in the film.

      Delete
  16. These came out great, I think you chose the right colour for sure. Nice touch on the king’s cloak too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a gamble but it paid off.

      Delete
  17. Nice job, Barks. Makes me want to run and and buy some for my LotR collection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done. Thanks for the paint explanations. Very helpful for future endeavors

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great effects, great looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving those Barks, really like your cape

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt, I was pleased with the end result.

      Delete