Saturday 7 January 2023

From Ray R - Under Construction - Dutch Infantry Brigade 2mm 31pts

 


For my second trip in the AHPC Studios I'm visiting Under Construction....

Under Construction: Half-done, almost-done, or barely started. This is the studio for painting projects which are just not quite there yet.

And its the barely started bit I'm concentrating on. In my Hobby Desk & Painting Plans post, back in December I shared 2 units of 2mm Dutch infantry I'd test painted for my new Battle of Almansa 1707 project, so in this post, I've painted the rest of the brigade.



Dutch infantry regiments, Torsay, Kepplefox and the two new ones, Viscouse and Belcastel


regt Viscouse was actually a Dutch/Huguenot unit as was Belcastel


I've handwritten the names on the back of the bases, but I think I may change that and print it out instead, my handwriting is terrible! All the flags are from my collection I have for my 15mm NYW project. Some are variations on them too, as nobody knows the actual flags for any of these 4 regts.


Also included in the Brigade leader Dohna.


And just for size purposes a 25mm Native Indian 


So there we have it my first completed brigade.

Points
5 points per infantry base = 10pts
1/2 point per brigade leader
20pts for Bonus round 
So a pretty small total of 30.5 points!

I can see the appeal of this scale in being able to field an entire army on a regular sized gaming table with ease, but I don't think I'd be able to focus when painting minis that small. While I am not in a position to criticize anyone's handwriting, I think some printed labels would add a lot to the overall look. As I am still finding my way around the Spreadsheet of Doom and haven't been entrusted with the power to use decimals yet, I'm going to add 1/2 a point for the flags and round your score up to 31. I'm looking forward to seeing this project continue to grow, Ray.

20 comments:

  1. Nice work Ray. You've reminded me I have an ECW project in the same scale I need to get back to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Ray with a great mass effect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those really do give the look of massed soldiery, Ray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great Ray, love the flags. It’s pretty easy to bash together unit labels in Word, I use text boxes to common dimensions. If you use different background colours it makes it easier to keep the various armies straight too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I need to get something sorted soon as possible.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love these, Ray! They may even cause me to find the courage to finally try to paint up some of my 2mm stuff! Please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great wee stuff. Very tempting and the mass effect for battles draws one in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what got me. You can play whole battles instead of part battles or a scaled down version.

      Delete
  7. Nice effect Ray. I don't know the history of the battle, but I have to assume any brigade named "Kepplefox" was awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb stuff Ray, they look great

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Greg on Kepplefox. :) Great work on these bases of figures! I love this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Curt. I'm already thinking of my next 2mm project? Oh the pain!

      Delete