Tuesday 25 January 2022

From SanderS: The journey begins, Laarden 1702 (25 points)

 

Last year we saw a lot of new and awesome posts from Master Roundwood concerning his Laarden 1688 project. Arthur was taken by this as well and asked me whether we couldn't do something "Laardish" since we live in what is basically the locale of Laarden. So I got in touch with Sidney and he graciously allowed me to participate in his ambitious project. Being given his permission, I started researching my hometown of Roermond in and around the year 1688. Sadly nothing worth of note happened here in said year, but quite a lot of things happened around this place in 1702 and onwards. While searching I found out that a French force under command of Louis XIV's generals Boufflers, camped not too far from my present day home so I was sold to 1702. This then led to me re-imagining Sid's 1688 in a later version in which I'd try to get as many of the units he has painted up, done in their 1702 guises. 

But I had to get myself and Arthur into the Laarden story and so the story begins:

Auntie, you know Dad, he never stops at two so he got a little tipsy and rather then go home he decided to shoot one more hare. I did insist on going back to Mum and Hugo, but he was not to be kept from his intended goal.

oy lad, there’s that bloody badger that’s been ravaging the garden, see there beyond the wall!?”

I will spare you the long story and get to the end of it now, Dad’s badger turned out to be the Marquis, Raymond de Rousselaere!



You know the big Randy-dandy-O that’s basically Dad’s employer?! Turns out he was out for a stroll and answering a call of nature when Dad put some lead in his substantial derrière.




Now the Marquis has not learned of the identity of the knave that shot him yet, but Dad is not waiting around for him to find out.

Talk in the village is that French troupes are near so Dad has decided to join the Sun Kings army in order to escape prosecution by the Marquis.


I truly had a blast painting these four figures up. The Marquis of course is from Wargames Foundry, the badger is from Warbases and Arthur and myself are from Uncle Bill's line. 





Now before you start and get the wrong idea: I also asked Ray up front if I could use him as my Nemesis and he kindly allowed me to do so as well. We will hear more of him yet!

As is Sidney's habit, I have made cards for the characters too. These are for use with our adapted version of Heroquest, with the humans as characters and the badger as an Event card.




For the basing I used the same texture roller Sidney used, made by Greenstuff World with greystuff. I am not altogether happy with my shrubberies/ floral scenics but they're glued on now so I can't re-do them.

Points is easy: 4 x 28mm figure is 20 points.

Cheers Sander



What a fantastic post and it's great to see that you and Arthur have been inspired by Sid to do your own, slightly later, Laarden project. As for the badger, errmm, Marquis, I'm sure he had it coming!

I think the scenic base deserves a few extra points, as does shooting Ray in his derriere, so I'm going to round your score up to 25 points.

Tamsin


45 comments:

  1. Wow, it is great to see this ispired by projects or collaboration projects in the Challenge. I have been thinking about something similar, but let's see if anything manifests during the Challenge.

    Anyway, neat painting and I always like a good narrative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, do start your project, it's really rewarding. Sidney has been ever so helpful and kind in providing his thoughts on the process.

      Delete
  2. This is so cool Sander! Well done! Very neat to see a project involving an assortment of different Challengers like this.

    That Marquis seems particularly shifty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look shifty doesn't he?! Cheers mate!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea using the heroquest rules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it keeps things simple for the lad to play a game with.

      Delete
  4. Sidney’s Laarden project is a thing of beauty and I love that you and Arthur have undertaken your own Laarden Project.

    AHPC challengers are the coolest kids on the inter-webs 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's just one person to blame for that now isn't there?

      Delete
  5. Really superb little vignette. I think the shrubs and bushes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool, this may be the best thing I’ve seen all challenge. I look forward to hearing about the Exploits of the Laarden-ites in both 1702 and 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just too much credit Peter! But it means much coming from you!

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is just superb, Sander. So well imagined and beautifully executed. My hat's off to you. More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can keep your hat on as the song goes 😜 no seriously: I am happy you all like it and I will try to get a few more posts in before the Challenge ends.

      Delete
  8. @Tamsin: thank you kindly for the bonus points and praise! Can you imagine the badger actually trying to convince me to paint his figure in the colours of his favourite footy club? Like that would do for 1702?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I can well imagine it of that dodgy cove! :)

      Delete
    2. Nothing wrong with Leeds Leeds Leeds!

      Delete
  9. Excellent stuff, an enjoyable read too

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks superb! Looking forward to follow your exploits.
    It’s always fascinating how little we know about our immediate surroundings until we look closer, eh? Until recently I didn’t know there was a rather large Napoleonic/ French Revolutionary battle fought around my home town…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is indeed fascinating how close history can get to you indeed!

      Delete
  11. Just wonderful mate. The painting, the composition, the story, all of it just comes together so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, while not nearly as good as Sid's stuff, I did try.

      Delete
  12. Very nice and creative Vignette!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sander:

    Your wonderful post shows all that is good about this Challenge community and how we are inspired by one another. I loved your background and storytelling, and the expression you captured on the Marquis is priceless. So well done and bonus marks for the badger.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just too much praise Mike, the Challenge is the sum of all our work and the dynamics it generates. Sometimes a spark of inspiration bursts into flame and a new project is born. But yeah the badger is da bomb ;-p

      Delete
  14. Absolutely brilliant Sander, fame at last!
    I hope we hear more from my namesake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Ray, glad you like it! Yes there's a roll for the Marquis to play yet, but perhaps it will have to wait till next year.

      Delete
  15. Love the bright outfit colours and the way the rest of the base is muted works really well - epic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I was indeed trying to get that contrast. Worked out well I guess.

      Delete
  16. Lovely storytelling and painting, great post!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a heartening project. Your delightful storytelling has me wanting for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for this Challenge, two more posts are planned, if all goes well that is. So watch this space!

      Delete
  18. Great work Sander! Nice to see your take on the Laarden subject and great story to kick it of with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it does get me out my comfort zone, but has been great fun.

      Delete
  19. Sander, I'm so sorry for being late in commenting. This is just so wonderful. What a brilliant story, great painting and really fun cards. As a Challenge entry, it's wonderful. But....as an example of what all of the Challenges have done - bringing all of us, wherever we are - together in our love for our hobby, its simply superb! Well done indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much obliged Syd, but an artist is only as good as his inspiration!

      Delete