Tuesday 25 January 2022

From SarahHC - Inter-Galactic Bounty Hunter and Gemma Star Cartographer on Sarah’s Star Yacht (15 Points)



Hi Everyone

Last week I was frustrated with painting 28mm, and after whinging to the Snowlord, he in his infinite painting wisdom, presented me with a half dozen 28mm female figures to paint.

As this is a challenge, I had to rise to the gauntlet thrown down.

With one caveat, 6 figures, way too much for me to do in a week, so one figure it would be.

The 28mm I chose to paint is of uncertain provenance to me (she is a Pulp Adventure figure - ed). I liked the way she looked, and as this household has just finished last season of The Expanse, and we’re into The Book of Boba Fett, my creative headspace is into the space rogue/ renegade theme.


So, I present to you - #5 Inter-galactic bounty Hunter. Her name is #5 because she is the fifth figure I have painted. The Challenge has seen 4 of my painted figures plus a crop of nasty fungi. #5s blunt bob hairdo reminded me of iconic BladeRunner character Pris, I wanted to enhance the futuristic look, hence a slight pink wash over the white hair.


Her gear and outfit inspired by classic adventure heroes: military jacket and jodhpurs but high fashion colours. Her gun and whip I hope, have a slightly futuristic look about hem .. I used a gunmetal wash to give a hint of otherworldly menace.

That’s how you know she’s a villain … Haute Couture Uniforms!

This 28mm was easier to paint than the first two. I need to improve my brush control and I know I’m a little heavy with the paints. Definitely, each week brings new challenges and success!

As a “reward” for not giving up on 28mm, my 3D printer guru, printed another 54mm figure which I found on MyMiniFactory.


She’s 'The Courier' from Eldritch Foundry. I decided she would be Gemma, the Space Cartographer on Sarah’s Star Yacht. Since the Star Yacht is an inter-galactic/alternate dimension travelling ship, she is need of a very creative and adventurous cartographer to map the way home.


Gemma is so named due to the rich sapphire of her hair. Like the StarYacht’s Pilot Jenny, she is in the livery of dark green and black and showing some personal flare with her shimmery yellow/gold scarf. Lady Sarah encourages her crew to be fashion forward and well-accessorized at all times. I like to think that Gemma’s handy satchel is full of wondrous tools to aid the challenges of inter galactic/dimensional mapping.

Well, there you have it. Now, points wise, it's pretty straightforward.

28mm figure = 5 points

54mm figure = 10 points

I imagine Natasha is also submitting her figures to hit 50 points, so we should have a tie! Whew!! What a sprint to the finish, but a good incentive to keep slogging away. I've really enjoyed this!

Thanks for looking!

- Sarah


I do like the effect of the pink wash on the bounty-hunter's hair. It was good of Curt to relent and let you paint a 54mm figure as well. Looking at the draft posts queue, I think tasha will also cross the finishing line today - does that mean that you have to share two chocolate cakes?

Tamsin

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I’m really enjoying playing with colours and figuring out effects.
      The pink does work well doesn’t it.

      Delete
  2. Great work Sarah!
    I'm surprised Curt didn't toss some 10mm infantry your way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhhh, don’t give him ideas!
      Terrain has appeared in my painting nook, so that’s my next focus
      Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. AHPC has now now ventured into Great Bake Off territory… a development most would appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Sarah, love the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An inspired choice of colours yet again! You do know how to combine them. The textures really work too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great work on both of these intrepid adventurers. I had a different look in mind for #5, but I like yours much better (the hair definitely clinches it).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the jackets of both of them, especially the purple one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great, love the Bounty Hunter's hair

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gret apinting work and colors combination Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine work Sarah! I especially like the pink touch to #5‘s hair

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is great work, again. Finding that inspirational image in your head is the best bit i think

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two great looking figures Sarah, I'm glad Curt is keeping you on your toes. I like the Pris inspired hair, very clever. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marvellous work on these two heroines. Working at different scales is a great way to learn new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I originally thought the big one must be 28mm! Smashing paintwork as there’s nowhere to hide on the bigger models and your highlighting work is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely work Sarah. #5's pink hair takes me back to the old Andersons' show UFO from the late 1960s, the female crew members on moonbase wore ridiculous tinfoil uniforms and dyed pink and blue wigs, very practical I am sure #5 is very practical and that whip combines as a lazer/tazer. The cartographer is likewise lovely and dressed for an expedition dirtside with those puttees, so obviously she's very versatile.
    Really enjoying your work.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pair of intergalactic heroines!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete