Tuesday 25 January 2022

From TashaH: Ferocious Dragons [Glorantha] (33 points)

 Glorantha - Planet of Quests, Runes and Heroes.

At the core of many a quest is a dragon. Residing on Glorantha are the Meadow Dragon, the Forest Dragon and the Snowy Mountain Dragon, all obtained from Dracokiro on MiniFactory As you will see, they are ferocious and should instill fear in every hero's heart at the prospect of engaging them. 

 

The Meadow Dragon embraces darkness and dread. Very fearsome.




Gloranthan dragons like to pose on rocks - we don't question it.


I used acrylic craft paints for the Meadow Dragon. I used a new one to me, a Colour Shift paint from Folk Art. I added a couple drops of Flow-Aid from Liquitex and that made it much easier to work with.

The Forest Dragon is a lively one and is known to attack with furor and frenzy. 




I used earth tone Citadel Contrast Paints for the Forest Dragon. After several layers and some blending, I dry-brushed Molten Bronze and Brass Balls to the dragon's wings and chest plate. I glued real crystals around the base of the dragon to cover up my poor attempt at removing a puddle base.

Lastly, the Snowy Mountain Dragon is the most fierce of all. Being trapped on the cold mountain has made him cranky and unapproachable. Oh wait, that's every person in Saskatchewan right now!





I got the idea for this base from a YouTube video. I apologize for not having the link. I was half paying attention and couldn't find it again. My lack of attention also means that my process is not the same as in the video. I'm certain theirs is much easier ha ha. I used white craft Gorilla glue on the stone, with just a touch of Talassar Blue Contrast Paint stirred in, sprinkled it with a hefty dose of baking soda and left if for about half an hour. When I came back, it was very puffy (like a cloud). I was a bit concerned and moved the mound around a bit, to make it look a little 'drifty'. I placed the dragon in the center of the mound, sprinkled it with more baking soda and left it for several hours. The white craft Gorilla Glue is not quick setting like the Gorilla Glue Super Glue. 

After a few hours, the mound was about 3/4 set. I decided I wanted to add some more snowy detail to the base and added a much thinner layer of the glue below the current layer and followed the same steps, minus adding the blue tint. 

The next day, I painted white accents into the snow and added a couple paw prints to mimic the pattern that is imprinted in the original base.

The dragon is painted using 4 shades of blue and purple Contrast paints, with a hint of Vallejo chrome as an accent. 

Points

2 x 20 mm figure - 8 points

1 x  28 mm figure - 5 points

1 x planet bonus = 20 points

Total - 33 points


If Tamsin would be so kind as to drop me into the Warp Maelstrom adjacent to this planet, I'd like a surprise landing please.


Those dragons certainly look cute, sweet and...errrmmm....that is to say, extremely ferocious! These very, very scary beasts will see you sail through the 50 points of figures for you "Chocolate Cake Duel" alongside Sarah. I guess you both have to bake each other a chocolate cake and then share them! You have my jealo...errmm...sympathies! 

I think I'll warp you to the Vogsphere, so something bureaucratic or blackly comedic next week please!

Tamsin


29 comments:

  1. They do seem so cute! But then, my cute dog gets pretty scary when you don't do what he wants...

    Great painting Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to watch out for the cute ones! My cute dog is also ferocious if you don’t do her bidding! (She thinks she’s a Mastiff but she is a Yorkie… silly dog)

      Delete
  2. Vogsphere - yikes Tamsin! I guess I need to peruse the internet for some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute little dragons. Well done and let the baking begin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well they might not be actually ferocious yet but just you wait until they grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing work Natasha. Again, your colour layering is inspired, but I have to say the bases take the show. Such a creative departure from MDF and plastic. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! I really enjoyed basing these.

      Delete
  6. Cute dragons, furious of course as well, but cute. The snow base looks great and helps the dragon pop up. Congratulations on jumping in the maelstrom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! I may regret my impulsive decision to jump in the maelstrom!

      Delete
  7. Lovely, my favourite is the Meadow Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not supposed to play favourites, but I think that one is my favourite as well 🤫

      Delete
  8. Wonderful work Tasha! Love the Forest Dragon especially, it almost looks like my cat when he „rests“

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such a wonderful visual of your cat now! Delightful!!

      Delete
  9. First a mirror and now a stone. I'm loving your creativity Tasha, you are reminding of a past Challenger called Anne and that is a compliment in itself. Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Millsy. You are very kind!

      Delete
  10. Excellent brushwork Tasha, I really like the hint of blue in the snow effect of the last beastie! Cool work, literally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. It has been cold and snowy here. I relate to the frosty beast!

      Delete
  11. Some truly terrifying drakes there, I like how you have based each to match the colours you have chosen for the great beasts themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart! They really are skeery aren’t they?

      Delete
  12. What brilliant little dragons! Very whimsical and a nice change of pace from the large scary fire breathing ones normally seen in miniatures. Really nice paint job on each one to make them distinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie! I tend to wander more to the whimsical side.

      Delete
  13. Hi Tasha:
    My stars, how cute and wonderful? Your painting and basing is entirely the treatment these little dragons deserve, I'm so impressed. You've also given me a great idea for gifts for my wife, who plays a never ending game on her iPad featuring adorable dragons who wander all over the place. Thanks for that@
    Great entry. Cbeers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I was able to give you an idea for a gift for your wife. That is the ultimate compliment!

      Delete
  14. Great trio of ferocious dragons! Lovely basing too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete