Tuesday 25 January 2022

From Tasha H: Rhino Beetle [Klendathu] (25 points)

 

Greetings from Klendathu! 

 


 

This is a Rhino Beetle from Printed Obsession on MyMiniFactory. In my mind, as soon as I saw it, I thought of golden scarabs swarming an unknowing treasure hunter and bringing them to an untimely demise. 

 


I really enjoyed pulling all the details out of this figure. With each brushstroke it seemed to reveal another layer For the thorax, I utilized some Citadel Gryph Hound Orange Contrast, P3 Brass Balls and Nuln Oil.  For the balance of the body, I used a variety of acrylics and metallics. I dry-brushed the joints with P3 Brass Balls  which worked like a charm. 


 

I had fun with the basing of this beetle.  In keeping with my ‘protecting the treasure’ theme, I tried to get a desert look and tucked shiny rocks in to mimic jewels. I also added some glass gravel to the sand for more treasure.

Points:

28mm figure:   5 points

Planet bonus:  20 points

Total: 25 points

Off to Glorantha...


That's a great looking insect, Tasha! And the basing looks fab, too!

Tamsin

35 comments:

  1. Another fantastic figure, you have really nailed the look on this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Natasha!

    I'm such a 30k dork that when I saw "Rhino" in the title, I thought perhaps you had painted a Space Marine APC...

    The bug is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Greg! No 30K for me. Perhaps when I get my new printer, I will try something. :)

      Delete
  3. That's awesome and I love the idea for the basing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Peter. The basing was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking creepy crawly, it looks really realistic. Have you left it where family members might stumble on it? Really aces basework too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! No scaring the family. They have shown quite an interest in my new hobby and are often asking about my current project.

      Delete
  6. Amazing job on this scarab Natasha! The layering on its chitinous carapace is excellent and the basework definitely makes it look as though it were protecting a Mummy's treasure horde. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's some brilliant painting on that beetle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the nicest entries I think I've seen - that beetle is awesome and so well painted

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! The metallics work a treat for this beetle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am rather fond of Metallica!

      Delete
    2. *metallics… not a big fan of Metallica 🤣

      Delete
  10. You're getting noticeably more adept at blending, shading and highlighting with every miniature Tasha. Metallics are one of the hardest effects to get right and you've nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day I learn so much from every post. There is so much talent here. Everyone is so open to sharing their tricks and tips. It is an amazing community.

      Delete
  11. I don't like bugs ass a rule but this scarab is a work of art, outstanding colours and shading, as Millsy says above. The basing totally completes the effect. Well done Tasha.
    Cheers, MIkeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t like bugs either Mike! I solely chose this model for this location. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  12. You could have a lot of fun with this figure. Just imagine leaving it on the toilet seat for someone to find!
    Brilliant painting though Tasha, it does look real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Ray! Maybe I’ll tuck it in a niche somewhere and just wait for someone to see it out of the corner of their eye. Who are we kidding? It would be me and I’d scare myself!

      Delete
  13. I wouldn’t want to mess with one of these…. Smashing job

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid looking beatle,lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete