Tuesday 25 January 2022

From DavidB - Some orcs, rebels, insurgents, mercs, rsta, gnolls, and a banker walk into a bar(445 points)


It has been a slog, but an enjoyable one. Especially since my son visited the man cave as I was taking these snaps. He knew I had a raft of minis for him as a late Christmas present, but he didn't ponder the scope.
These are two of the newest orcs and will serve as random encounters or champions in his now massive orc horde.


The one in the cape has an Eastern flair, while the other is more woodland native with the furs and skins. Both were a treat to paint and had pretty decent detail for wizkids minis.


These are the first presentation of an Ebay lot I scored after I found out my son wanted D&D stuff for Christmas. These are wonderfully ill- porportioned and chunky as perfect characterful sculpts from the late 70s early 80s. I couldn't find the manufacturer, but they were similar to ones I faced from mithral in the 80s when I played. They remind me of the hobgoblins from the  Wizard of Oz.


Above are old grenadier orcs from the 90s. The detail is soft to being like lumps of dough, but the magic of these old sculpts is the dynamic character of the poses. I used to have the undead warriors by the same artist. I still love the animation of the poses.


These are more of grenadier orcs. Different sculptor. They are from the 80s and early 90s. Some of the poses and proportions are off, but they do have a good 80s D&D look to them.


Two more from I think Ral Partha. Sandal clad and wiry muscles. They are more lead than pewter. I have a few more unpainted, but they are smashed or bits to warmachines we do not have.


These I think are also Ral Partha. Brian Nelson made the hooded one and left for England and Games Workshop shortly after. 
The red shirt bowman reminded me of Hoggle from Labrynth.


4 more from Ral Partha. They have a nice Frank Frazzetta look to them from potbelly and dynamic wiry muscle. Definitely among my favorites.


Grenadier and a duo of frog orcs with a dog faced one. Again these are classic 80s orcs with the stylish armor.


A group of Ral Partha orcs. The furs and ripped clothes. I like them a bunch and now Seth has a standard bearer, musician, and core of an army for his horde.


I also gave him my helicopter orc as a Supreme champion for the horde. I knew he would find a band to lead!


Seth was not expecting the gnolls to accompany the orcs. Being filthy, mangy, hyenas; I weathered, mucked, and rusted them up. The axe welders are wizkids while the bowman is reaper miniatures from the bones line.


The boss gnoll painted a long time ago also has popped in for command of my son's brutal horde.


A nice start to his growing collection of dungeon denizens.


He also gets this nifty case the orcs came in. Now he can keep them safe when he travels for games.


Bunched together, they make a wonderful orky horde. Including the distinguished grenadier orc in purple who almost missed being photographed...so many orcs on my desk!



Seth also gets the best NPC ever to grace a computer RPG. The Ranger Minsc is a favorite party member from Balders Gate one and two.
Rangers usually wear green, are quiet stealth archers of the woods, and are a solid dependable part of the team.
Minsc doesn't use a bow, hates magic , wears a red cape, yells constantly and wants to beat evil with his sword. Boo is his animal companion and is a hamster. 
" go for the eyes, Boo!"


He came with a set of D&D paints. He is very much needed for my son's campaign.


Up next a banker, or fixer replete in his fine black suit and power tie with a briefcase. Something important may reside within. A PI or VIP for Spectre Operations. His arms seem a little short, but he does add to the pile of CoBs I can add to my games. I decided to go with black hair and darker skin so he can represent any nation in the games.


I also completed six operators that can be used as security contractors, gov operatives, bank robbers, cartel. Just about any side and any use.


They all have bump helmets, m4 carbines, sidearm, flex cuffs, on their backs are satellite GPS systems that alphabet agencies can use to track them in real time.


They all wore the same thing! 


They all have balaclavas with skull prints to give them a touch of nefarious-ness. 


This colorful bunch is sold as a grab bag of generic insurgents for spectre operations.


Most are covered in hoods and masks and are from the Middle East, Africa, and Eastern Europe
I picture them as being a mixture team from interpol most wanted, insurgents from the horn of Africa, Irish dissidents, anarchists, gun nuts, they can serve many roles including Cartel Sicarionos. One in particular I've already dubbed the Chechnyan. He is very obvious in his Russian green fatigue pants and spetznatz blue and white shirt. When I was in Afghanistan, there was a Chechnyan sniper that prevented us from using the latrine for a whole day...I still remember that guy!  The fellow in blue has some green wellies complete with black toes and yellow soles -cuz accuracy! Probably a sentry from the farm.


Then I have some Delta force operators minus the missing dog team. They all have bump helmets and m4 suppressed carbines. One is the 249 squad gunner with a cc shortened barrel for cqb gunbattles and room clearing. The team is joined by a squad member with an EBR which is a nicer, modern version of an m14.


They are wearing multicam with coyote bump helmets and various styles of plate carriers. I choose to think of them as National Guard. They are dressed and equipped much as my unit usually is. Scout Infantry cheats because our squads are rarely above six members. We are very quiet and sneaky because we are small teams. If we have to get loud it is sudden and violent because you want the enemy to think there are more than what there is. Also they have temperate bases because I'm tired of desert! ;)


Two squads of rebels with a mixture of aliens and women added in. I think I will use these three ladies and see where Tamsin wants to send me...surely she will send me someplace nice!?


The best thing about Star Wars legion is the girls are still feminine without resorting to Pamela Anderson over the top antics. 


The blue squad of rebel regulars 


And a squad of rebel saboteurs...the team from Rogue One. I have most of the rebel troops and perhaps will get most of them done yet. I plan on keeping on with the color squad theme. The next batch of regulars will be red squad, commandos will be green, Hoth veterans...is white too obvious? ;)


And the whole mess of troops fresh from the paint table. Including 95 points of modern...note, Curt, I prefer the one more for the airborne ranger in the sky. I'm still looking for the dog and handler to pip me over 100points. Failing to find the duo will mean finding something else to go a bit beyond the agreed 95 points...something should happen soon!
Up next will probably be space marines, but I just seen some more rebels, a few super heroes, some samurai, gas lands, maybe I should just pick a color first...ooh, space orks!

Ah orcs..

49 of em for 245 points
3 mangy gnolls-15 points
Minsc the barbarian ranger and Boo the hamster-5 points
18 insurgents, mercs and rsta infantry- 90 points
A banker for a fiver( they ARE cheap!)
And 13 Star Wars Rebel troopers for 65 points

The total of 425 points for the lot and using the three lady rebels for securing passage on Lady Sarah's Yacht another 20 points bringing the grand total to 445 points.
No particular destination, Tamsin. I will trust my favorite stewardess to not drop me off on a desert world though! 
Three orcs with skullz and a gnoll with trophies for 10 skulls.
And one paint bomb for Tamsin to review over her morning cuppa. 💣

Upon review I did use some terms that may need clarification. 
RSTA- reconnaissance, surveillance, target acquisition 
CoBs- civilians on the battlefield 
CC- close combat 
CQB- close quarter (gun)battle
Houshold-6 aka wife sez I use too much acronyms in my language and should stop before people look at me funny... I thought she was going to correct the swear words! ;)



That really is a lot of different figures (and a lot of photos that I had to reset to "Large") in this post! Smashing work, David!

Now, where to send you on Lady Sarah's Star Yacht? Hmmmm. I think I'll book you passage to the Death Star, so something showing hubris or questionable design.

Tamsin

18 comments:

  1. Whoa David, that's a lot! I do like the orcs, who doesn't like orcs? Brilliant bomb, I can't say anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom! Points bomb and an orc horde too!
    Well done Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some old school orcs. With their big grins and gnarly teeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boom! Classic DaveB points bomb!
    There is a lot to look at here, I’ll need a second cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So just a few figures, eh Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive! Such great variety and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I zoned out halfway through this massive carper bomb of a post but wow! Love the old skool Figs for the offspring. Cool modern stuff including the target err banker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes, you really laid down the hammer David! Fantastic work, and so much to admire here. Those moderns are superb and you've caught me completely flat-footed as I've been immersed in all things fantasy. I think I may have the perfect riposte, but it will be in a week or so. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An impressive effort and collection

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fine selection. Especially like the old school Orcs

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's some wonderfully old skool lead amongst that lot David. I love the fact you're using those with a new generation of gamers rather than buying new plastic. Kudos mate.

    FYI these are from the early Grenadier D&D box sets. The four on the right are goblins from the 5002 Monsters set. The fifth chap on the left is actually an orc from 2011 Orc's Lair set. Hope that helps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey David:
    So much goodness here, the old school fantasy figures taking me down memory lane. I think the most fearsome is the banker - nobody can mess your day up like a banker. Smashing entry.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant meandering post around such different figures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid points bomb, the moderns are nice but the old school orcs are just brilliant!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific paint bomb and I appreciate the acronym legend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great variety! Can we get a total Skull count soon thanks.

    ReplyDelete