Thursday 11 March 2021

From MartinC Landsknecht Pike Block and some map (74 points)

 THe best thing about renaissance Italian Wars are massive pike blocks of really tough guys in camp clothing. The best thing about 10mm is that you can cram 64 figures, all dressed differently, in an 80mm by 80mm stand.

using KoW rules this would be a horde and attacks with 30 dice, unless it attacks you in the flank when it gets 60 dice, or in hte rear when it gets 90 dice. 90 dice, I've played whole battles and rolled fewer dice than that.

They look great with their flags waving.

The 3 projects I've done this challenge (Dunsterforce, Vietnam and Italian Wars) have really sparked my imagination. I was in a gaming slump with no new ideas since I finished the 7YW project. However the coolest thing I've done / am doing is the 3-D map that goes with the Italian wars, but could be any war. This idea was completely stolen from Sidney Roundwood - always steal your ideas from the best.

I've made a start and completed 32 of the tiles so far

Farm land, a mix of fields, orchards and vineyeards. I've not added roads - will overpower the other terrain

Only done 1 river tile, these will be the trickiest as they have to match up

Small town, need to make the cities. These buildings and the bridges came from Brigade Models

2 mountains and a mountain pass - made using filler

Woods - these are all the planned woods. I've enven sorted storage with a box file and tray inserts.

I'm loving my map, although some of the flock (I use a mixed bag) needs a hair cut.

Points wise

64 x 10mm infantry = 64 plus any lovely flag bonus

map = 32 x 40mm hex tiles at an average of 0.5 inches = about 1/2 a terrain box = 10 points

Right off to paint some artillery and make more tiles. 


16 comments:

  1. Brilliant work, Martin! I like the pike block. There's always something great about any pike-block, and landsknechts, doubly so! And that idea with the hex tiles for a 3D - am loving that work, Sir!! The idea for a walled vineyard is genius - I'm stealing THAT!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top work Martin. Love the terrain tiles and all those luvvly flags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey . I seem to be able to comment today ! Nice job Martin.. should have done stripes though... just saying 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ta, but it was better when you couldn't comment:)

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking pike block and the 3d map is genius!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Martin, loving the 10mm pike block and the map looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An extra 5 bonus points for flags and the hexes are worth a few more than 10 points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, 12 points in it with 8 days to go, closest yet I think. Will it be a 6mm vs 10mm race to the finish? Bet you've got loads

      Delete
    2. I've got a good number of Seleucids left and a Dacian army to prime but, to be honest, I'm loosing steam on painting 6mm stuff. I'll do a few more light infantry bases for the Seleucids but I think the Dacians are for Challenge XII

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. 90 dice?! Brilliant! Love the hexes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get hit in the rear by acpikecblock. Whilst we all own 90 dice we don't have the hands to throw them

      Delete