Thursday 11 March 2021

From SimonG: The Dark Lord for the Snow Lord - Lucifer Is My Altar Offering (40 points)

Finally I complete the descent into the Chambers of Challenge and my offering at the Altar of the SnowLord is the lord of hell himself -- Lucifer Morningstar!






Once again this is a Ludus Magnus Studio Black Rose Wars figure -- nominally it's 38mm scale but Lucifer is actually 54mm tall and the overall figure is about 12cm top to bottom and side to side. It's a technical tour de force with barely visible assembly marks or mould lines and accessibility for painting throughout despite the intricate inter-twining of snakes and clothing -- a real pleasure to paint. This WIP shot gives you a sense of scale relative to Citadel paint pots. I also really loved the attention to detail on the wings -- the upper set (the webbed ones) are actually greatly expanded hands with five grossly distended fingers and webbing between them.




The weakness of the model was his sword which was both bent and also broken at the joint to the hilt. After thinking about glueing it back on I elected instead to make a new blade from brass strip I use for labelling my 10mm tanks! Overall I think it came out OK -- sorry the etched (ok scratched with a knife) design on the blade doesn't come out too clearly in the photos! For more on Satan's sword I recommend you check out "Rachel Rising" by Terry Moore -- a great story by one of my favourite artists and writers.




The fun thing in this paint job was to choose how to paint the snakes. The eagle eyed among you should be able to identify the following: Russell's Viper; Yellow Lipped Sea Krait; Black Mamba; Eastern Coral Snake; Tiger Snake; Boomslang; Green Pit Viper and a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. All of these bar the last are exceedingly poisonous so good choices for Beelzebub himself!







Wings were modelled on a crow and the leathery wings were originally green but repainted half way through to the finished ochre. I finished the ribbons of clothing with Citadel Spiritstone Red as it gave them extra energy and glow -- the jewels all over the wings have the same finish. 




Overall I've really enjoyed navigating the Chambers of Challenge and believe it has really pushed my painting forward so congratulations to Carl and all the minions for a superb job organising everything this year and I can't wait for AHPC XII!



Points wise if we think of him as a 54mm mounted that's good for 20 plus 20 for the chamber to get to my suggested total of 40 and takes me above 1K overall


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I think old Nick might take exception to being described as “nice” 😉 😈

      Delete
  2. Fantastic looking Louis Cypher, he looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I think he and his snake support came out very well 🐍

      Delete
  3. OMG, you made a new blade and painted the snakes up to represent exact species.
    Wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you have eight different snakes 🐍 then it’s a chance to make them
      pretty 😍 and he looked like he liked to look good (down to his purple nail varnish!) and the sword 🗡 kind of let him down before so all in all he deserved it!

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is superb. That blade is especially impressive. Bravo Simon, well done and challenge met! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. Turns out polished brass is awfully hard to paint, I need to work out how to get a decent undercoat on it if I’m going to use it again in the future. Luckily he looked fine with a goldfish blade given a quick sheen of the ubiquitous spiritstone

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! Good to stay on the right side of the powers that be 😉

      Delete