Thursday 11 March 2021

From MilesR: 6mm Seleucid Army, part 1 (327.5 Points)

 



Despite a lack of updates for the challenge, there has been a bit of work going on at my painting desk.  I present to you my Seleucid army, part 1, in glorious 6mm scale.


Please accept my apologies for photographing these chaps on my messy painting desk but due to the ongoing repair work after the basement flood there just isn't any room.  These miniatures are from Baccus and are superb.


The heart of any Successor or Macedonian army is the Phalanx and my little Seleucid contingent is no exception.  12 bases with 32 pikemen each.  Half are advancing and half standing.

Baccus makes 2 different types of pikeman cast - one with a cast pike and one open handed where the pike is added on.  I opted for the latter and really like the look but it was very tedious to do.  I'm also a little worried that about tabletop mishaps but we shall find out later on.

I went to a hardware store and picked up a wire brush to serve as the source of the pikes for the mini's



I think they came out really well



I clipped a bunch of extra pikes, as I suspect there will be a lot of battlefield damage.

Supporting the Pike are 9 bases of Seleucid Agema or heavy cavalry and 5 generals.

on the other flank are 10 bases of Light cavalry and a single Ellephant.  There are more Ellies on order from Baccus.

In reserve are 3 bases of skirmishers, 2 bases of Hoplites and 2 bases of Archers.

There are a good number of other types of supporting infantry to be painted up - include some imitation Legionnaires.  It's unlikely those will get done for this Challenge.

There are also enough standing pike figures for 6 additional pike bases but I'm pretty sure I just cant stomach clipping and gluing on the pikes

Total figures for this entry are:
472 infantry for 236 points, 
89 mounted for 89 points and
1 Ellie for 3.5 (scored as a vehicle plus 3 figures)
Total Points: 327.5




7 comments:

  1. Incoming! Lovely looking army and excellent basing too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Miles megalomania makes another appearance! Seriously they look really wonderful all rank up. The basing is very effective. How many times have you impaled a body pike on one of those metal pikes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lets just say I didn't have to use a lot of red paint for the red shields

      Delete
    2. Well the god of hobbies does require blood sacrifices from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! I think the investment of the separate pikes works really well.

    ReplyDelete