Saturday 18 March 2023

From PeterB: A final transforming robot (70 Points)

I promised something for the end of the challenge and I think I can call it done. Last year in my first challenge I had it all planned what I would paint, then Mrs B very kindly gave me a giant Space Marine for Christmas. So of course I had to then paint that up as part of the challenge. This year my very generous friend with a 3D printer (all wargamers need one) that printed my Viking bust asked me the most random of questions. "Would you also like an Optimus Prime?" 

This was the beginning of the project when I had "primed" the parts and begun construction

Well, of course who am I to say no to such an offer, so a box of random parts with no instructions arrived. I have been slowly painting this beast of a project over the challenge and like the Space Marine before him, it took a lot of paint!

The design is inspired by the Michael Bay movie design so it had some flames etched into some of the red panelling. These are blue in the movie which if I am honest I think look awful, so I changed them to yellow.

The rest of the paint scheme, I wanted to keep similar to classic Optimus so that he was recognisable, then the whole model had detailing added to make him look like he has had the odd scrap or two.


Ruler for scale

I have now gifted Optimus to a dear friend as a thank you for doing me a favour by fixing an engine for my Dad for his railway setup. Yes, I am the son of a hobbyist, I guess it runs in the blood. It definitely is where I get the joy of tinkering with things and although they are different hobbies there is enough crossover that we appreciate and discuss them with each other at length. Thousands of wiser folk than I have written paragraphs about the healthy benefits of hobbying so I am grateful we have found what we love.

Points wise, I have no idea, my Space Marine garnered 50 points and he is around that size (maybe a bit taller) as you can see below. Then 20 points for a visit to the gift shop. So 70 points overall?

From TeemuL: We have Ray painting minis, which some think are too small, and then we have Peter, who does the opposite! And gives it away as gift! You have good friends and your friends have a good friend, well done Peter! 50 points for Optimus Prime and 20 bonus for location. Thank you for joining us!

6 comments: