Monday 18 March 2024

From JamieM - Kings of War Northern Alliance (188 points)

Just in under the wire….. the silly thing is that these should have been about my third entry. I had a plan for the bases and it didn’t work out like I had thought it would and so I shoved them to the back of the painting table, approximately 97% done, and left them there until now.


As you can see, they’re literally still on the painting tray. They’re multi based up for the Kings War game by Mantic. The game started as a derivative of Warhammer fantasy battle, with all of the classic races, but this is one of Mantic’s own, a mixture of men, elves, trolls, monsters and animals who live in the frozen north.


Cavern dweller (a horrible monster)


Thane and wolf

Elf hero and human skald
Lots of wolves

Elven heroes - all three are ladies so I shall claim lady Sarah’s library cart for one of them!

Snow trolls

A different angle to show the weapon swaps - mantic only produce one body with two slightly different heads and one separate arm holding either a rock or a club, so I swapped in some weapons from a Games Workshop giant to make them more interesting.

Snow Troll hero and elf ice bolt thrower

And some ice elementals.

Some great sculpts by mantic and nice to see them striking up their own armies. I picked them all up as a job lot by someone who had made something of a mess of them and so they took a lot of paint stripping, but I find that reclamation projects are one of the parts of the hobby that I really enjoy.

Some other angles




I’m pleased to get these done as my painting table is now fairly clear - at one point during the challenge I had my painting desk and dining table covered in miniatures in various stages of building/painting.

A big thank you from me to Curt for running it back again, Greg for being a cracking minion with some great comments and also a big thank you to the serial commenters who comment on most posts, irrespective of genre, as you do much better than I do at keeping up with posts and encouraging people, which is the whole point of the challenge after all.

For scoring then:

10 wolves, 6 heroes and 2 crew all at 5 points (28mm) each for 90 points.

One (38mm) crew served weapon for 10 points

6 trolls, 3 elementals and 1 cavern dweller each at 7 points (40mm) for 70 points.

Lady Sarah’s cart for 20 points.

Knock off a couple for a couple of bases not finished (two wolves didn’t fit on the multi bases) and that’s 188 points to just put me over the 1,000 points mark!

_______________________________

Wonderful work Jamie! This force looks terrific and very chilly (great job on the winter bases)! I especially like the Skald and the Ice Elementals. I quite like it when the Challenge causes household mayhem with hobby projects spreading from room to room - a success story if I every heard one. :)

Well done Jamie and wonderful job in blowing past your points target.  I look forward to seeing you in the lists next time we roll out.

- Curt


4 comments: