Monday 18 March 2024

From JamesM: 15mm Bobbins, Fireflies and Battery CP's (48pts)

Hi folks,

More green painted tanks from me, to end my challenge on. 

First up, some D-day oddities. 15mm resin printed 'Bobbin' AVRE Churchills. These tanks were 'carpet layers' designed to unroll a reinforced matting over soft sand/clay areas. This would provide a very temporary surface which other vehicles could use to prevent getting stuck on the beach. It could have the additional effect of flattening barbed wire to allow infantry easy crossing. As far as I'm aware, these attachments only really saw action on D-Day, although the concept was pursued in other forms post war. 





I've added some paint bottles for size references to some pictures, as it has been mentioned it's hard to define the scale sometimes - unfortunately I don't keep a banana near my desk. 

These models came from 'Butlers Printed Models' who have an excellent range of 3d printed 'funnies'. This was an expensive buy as I went for the 'all resin' option, but as soon as I saw these I knew my 'breaching teams' needed some. 

These tanks will see the table soon - this year me, MartinC and DaveD planning to do five large 15mm games - one for each of the D-Day beaches. 

Of course, it wouldn't be a challenge without me painting more 15mm Shermans*

Since I'd finished my Sherman DD's earlier in the challenge, I also painted the three firefly tanks that would join the squadron once the beach was a little more secure. 


These models are old metal and resin Battlefront kits I've had for a while. However, they have been 'upgraded' with more modern plastic Battlefront 17-pdr gun barrels, as the plastic offering is far thinner and more realistic looking than the old metal offerings. 

Decals and such are for the Fort Garry Horse. I've kept them very light on stowage, as they were a rush job and I can always add that later once I've seen what reference pics might be out there. After much interanl debate I also decided to base these the same way as the DD tanks. 




Lastly, a Battlefield3d resin printed Sexton Command Post model. 



This model has no real purpose other than it was unusual and I wanted to add one to my collection. As my Canadian Sextons has a Ram OP tank, I thought I'd add this oddity to my Polish artillery pool. Really just set dressing for games, it does look cool and took little effort, what with the canvas cover. 

Six 15mm scale tanks, at 8 points each, for a total of 48 points. 

* Like DaveD with his camels, although I've made sure the type of Sherman used is correct

_____________________________________________

It wouldn't be a proper Challenge without James doing some 15mm WWII armour, would it? Love the assorted 'funnies' and the oddball Sexton Command vehicle. It's these outliers that really make for an interesting tabletop. Well done James and best of luck with your upcoming D-Day monster games! 

Until next year!

-Curt

10 comments:

  1. Nice work. I had never seen the carpet layer variants before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic selection of vehicles, exremely well painted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! Very nice to see some of the more unusual vehicles, you have done a really fine job in them. Pity you ate the banana though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really grest looking vehicles, James.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking vehicles James, time to have them hit the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent looking vehicles!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking little tanks. Love those Churchill funnies.

    ReplyDelete