Monday 18 March 2024

From SarahHC: Cathy, Heathcliffe and Kate - Literature (50 Points)


Hello Everyone!

For my last post of Challenge XIV, I move from the Gift Shop to the Rotunda into the Literature Room to find in the stacks, one of my very favourite novels, the compelling and tragic story of moors and madness - the novel Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

Found on MyMiniFactory, these very elegant and evocative figures of Cathy & Heathcliffe and of course, no mention of Wuthering Heights can be complete without the iconic Kate Bush dancing in her red dress!

These three figures were a real pleasure to paint in another collaboration with Curt. (I think he was a bit envious as he wanted to also paint Kate Bush). (Truth! ed)

We decided that I would be “in charge” of the the overall aesthetic and paint the figures and Curt would swoop in and paint faces/hands, highlights and complete the base/groundworks.

I choose to paint the ghostly Cathy in very the same muted, pale Vallejo colours that I used on my last post, Oostwaert the Baker.


Heathcliffe is in dark, saturated colours, his vest is Vallejo Chocolate brown with a dash of Citadel Contrast Murgos Purple for added richness and depth of colour. My intent was to really emphasize that an ethereal Cathy haunts the very much alive, but tormented Heathcliffe.



The 3D print from Gametee, is the first mini I’ve painted which was two figures on the same base. I did find it a bit tricky to paint especially where the figures connect.

The Kate Bush figure, also from Gametee, was a true pleasure to paint. The mini is so elegant and the expression of dance and movement is so perfectly captured .. straight out of her Wuthering Heights music video.


I was very happy to have Curt paint the flesh tones … Kate’s hands are so delicate and I was nervous to attempt. (after all, I do have a history of breaking the pointy bits …)





Kate’s red dress is Vallejo trans red and Curt has highlighted with the richly pigmented Vallejo Bloody Red.



Hopefully Curt will be allowed to use the Kate figure to summon the library cart and whisk him off to Literature for his last post of the Challenge.



Thank you to all the challengers for another exceptional season of painting and camaraderie. I was not able to comment as much as intended but I will definitely be revisiting posts in the next few days.

Huge thanks to everyone who has commented on my own posts, I admit it is bit of a dopamine buzz to read such positive feedback.


54mm Cathy& Heathcliffe 20

54mm Kate Bush 10

Library location 20


Happy Spring Everyone!

-Sarah

__________________________________

From Millsy: What a wonderful way to close out your Challenge Sarah! 3D printing has been such a boon when it comes to making minis available that would likely otherwise never see the light of day or at least not be available to a wider audience. I'm a huge fan of all things Brontë and I can see you are too given how much of yourself you've poured into these miniatures. You've really captured the broodiness of Healthcliffe and the ethereal Cathy is marvellous. Well done and now go and enjoy Shambush to celebrate finishing these :-)

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you … I was inspired by the greatness of the subjects

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous last entry, Sarah! I have been amazed at your creativity and the resourcefullness displayed in your Posts and this one is no exception. Great figures, a fantastic story and great painting too! Cathy is really very good, Heathcliff has just the right sombre and brooding aura about him and Kate Bush’s dress is great. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn!
      I had dental surgery yesterday so reading all these positive comments has really lifted my spirits …

      Delete
  3. Fab work on all 3 figures, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Sarah - and congrats on another wonderful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Millsy noted, 3d printing allows you up to tell a lot of unique stories in miniature. Great job on the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on these lovely models Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work on three splendid figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a wonderfully pale take on Cathy. Now I'll have to go and rewatch Kate Bush again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like the Kate Bush figure - great painting and enjoyed the video link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great, I want to paint Kate Bush now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great group of figures here Sarah! I'd forgotten how odd Kate Bush's "dance moves" were in that video, she's a great talent and your painting captures her well. Catherine and Heathcliff look suitably ethereal/brooding as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate was just a teen when she wrote and choreographed the song … yes the dance moves are strange but so fitting for the mood of Wuthering Heights

      Delete
  12. You are too kind Benito!
    Thank you very much … my brushwork has certainly improved during this challenge. The Library theme was inspiring for me, and I believe for a few other participants too 😊
    Have a terrific spring/summer and we all will meet back here in December

    ReplyDelete