Tuesday 19 March 2024

From Curt - The Last Post of Challenge XIV - 'Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts'


Well the last day of Winter (and more importantly the first day of Spring) is upon us, and so too we find ourselves at the conclusion of Challenge XIV. And what a great Challenge it's been! We had many of our veterans return to participate, which was wonderful, but we also had a good many new folk join-in which was terrific to see as it means that the Challenge remains relevant and reenergized. 

This is the second year in which I've largely stepped back from taking part in the day-to-day posting and scoring and I have to say it has allowed me to enjoy the event all the more. Of course, this meant that I had to rely on a full roster of friends to help keep the whole circus rattling  along. So I give my heartfelt thanks to Sylvain, Martijn, Greg, Teemu, Millsy, Dallas and Kyle for their excellent work as our intrepid minions. You guys were magnificent in leading your individual crews, while also promoting the Challenge's open and welcoming nature. Also, a big thank you to Paul for keeping track of the Duels, Barks for his ever-entertaining 'Skull Challenge', and to Miles for making sure the Spreadsheet of Doom worked as it should (and was suitably appeased). 

As per custom, I close out the Challenge with the final submission.

This past autumn I read a review of Emily Wilson's recent translation of 'The Illiad' and decided to pick it up. While it was a bit of a slog in spots, I still really enjoyed it. Wilson chose to translate Homer's prose using unrhymed iambic pentameter, rather than the traditional dactylic hexameter which is an academics way of saying that she translated Homer's epic not only for ease of reading, but for listening to as well. And it's true, I found her translation very easy to digest, and was struck by her descriptions of the battles and motivations of the characters. I think any reader will find that much of what the story describes still resonates today, which is pretty impressive for a tale that is almost 3,000 years old!

Reading the Iliad also prompted me to bring out my copy of Rosemary Sutcliff's 'Black Ships Before Troy' (wonderfully illustrated by Alan Lee), and re-watch both the 2004 film and the 2018 mini series. Of course all this Hellenic enthusiasm spilled over into my hobby as well, with me collecting miniatures and mulling over possible  gaming scenarios.

Ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated by the story of the Trojan Horse and Odysseus' ruse which saw the fall of Troy and the end of the 10-year siege. With this in mind, I started to sketch out a semi-cooperative game where the Horse has been brought into the city and the players, who control the Greeks hiding inside, emerge from the Horse to try to secure victory and gain fame under the gods' eyes. I envision that there will be various missions for them to complete and compete for. Things like 'Light the Signal Fire'; 'Open the Main Gate'; 'Secure Helen', 'Raid the Treasury'; etc. I see lots of characterful 'Screw Cards' with Gods intervening amongst the general mayhem. :)

Several of the sources say that 40 Greeks were hiding in the Horse, so I decided that each of the four players would control a hero along with nine companions.  The leading heroes would be Odysseus, Diomedes, Menelaus and Neoptolemus. In the rules I imagine that their companions will serve to assist in side task as well as serve as their bodyguards in critical fights. 

Now, first to find a suitable Horse. I did a good bit of investigating trying to source a suitable model for the Horse but it wasn't easy. In a bout of pique I even entertained making one out of foam core, but I knew that way lay madness and too much strife. Finally I came across a 3d design based on the 2004 movie set model. Perfect!

I quite like the Horse's rustic design as it actually looks like something that may have been built on a beach from repurposed ships planking, rope and smelted bronze. 

The original 3d design was made for 54mm figures which was way too HUGE, especially as I wanted something that could store away in a single banker's box. After a bit of head scratching and calculating, I settled on 20mm as an overarching scale and resized the Horse accordingly for the final print.


The printed model was fairly easy to assemble and paint. I kept the Horse's side panels unglued just in case things go pear-shaped for the Greeks right from the get-go. :)


I quite like that the horse is at a scale that works with the figures. It actually looks like fourty crazy Greeks could be crammed within it. To finish the piece, I made a 'drop hatch' from plasticard and a rope from wire.


The Greek heroes are 3d designs from Wargames Atlantic. I quite like the models, but I have to say that the multipart assembly strained my patience after a while. What you see here is only half of the full Greek contingent of forty. I have most of the other models assembled, but I just couldn't get them across the finish line in time.  Nonetheless, this provides a taste of what the whole group will look like. 


Odysseus' 'Red Group'

Diomedes 'Green Group'

Sometimes I like a scale variation for my 'Big Men' in skirmish games, so I scaled the named Heroes in 28mm so they are noticeably larger than their 20mm companions. I also based them on octagon bases to help them stand out a little more.


I also did a test stand of Trojan opponents, all geared-up in their formidable Dendra plate armour. 


I imagine there will be a whole contingent of these 'Trojan Terminators' at the Palace, protecting Helen and the rest of the Royal family.  They should be a tough nut to crack for the assaulting Greeks.


There is still a lot to do, but this group hopefully breaks the duck and helps me keep up the momentum to complete the project.


As to points for this lot.

21 x 20mm figures = 84 Points
2 x 28mm figures = 10 Points
1 x 20mm 'vehicle' = 15 Points
Literature Bonus = 20 Points

Total: 129 Points

This manages to squeak me into the top 10 point finishers, which is probably my best result to date. Gosh, I think I'll open a bottle in celebration! :)

________________________________________________________


In closing I want to thank all our participants for their amazing work, support and kindness throughout the Challenge. As I often like to say, the Challenge is not characterized by me or the minions, but rather by all who participate in it. So again, thank you for the great experience. I really can't think of a better way to spend the winter months.

In a week or so I'll post a poll for 'Challenger's Choice', so please email me your top three nominations for that award. Also, we'll have an update from Skully McSkullface (Barks) and our Duels Wallah (Paul) on their respective tallies. We'll also have an awards wrap up which will include the Challenger's Choice, the Minions' Choice, my SnowLord's Choice and Sarah's Choice. Stay tuned for those announcements.

In the meantime, if you will indulge me, I ask that everyone submit a post featuring a picture of themselves along with their Challenge efforts this season.

Thanks again, and I hope to see you all next winter for Challenge XV!

- Curt


56 comments:

  1. This is one of the most bonkers and most impressive posts I’ve seen. Taking an idea and running with it like this is a brilliant idea and I’ll bet the game is great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, much appreciated. I hope I can get it all finished over the coming months. Perhaps it will be on next year's Challenge to-do list. ;P

      Delete
  2. amazing, thank you for a fun winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin and congrats on your upcoming retirement.

      Delete
  3. Nice work, the Illiad is of of the origional classics because it does contunue to stay rellevant (war being all too common). Great final entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. I completely agree re: The Iliad. It really is a timeless story.

      Delete
  4. Great work Curt, these are splendid.
    Thanks to yourself, the minions and fellow challengers for another great season of support and motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul. I'm delighted you had a good Challenge - I always enjoy seeing your work.

      Delete
  5. Awesome model here Curt. Can't wait to try it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy. I hope I can get it all sorted for a game in the not too distant future.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on another crazy and original project dude, backed by tremendous brushwork! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude. Yep, crazy is the operative word here.

      Delete
  7. You certainly know how to end the challenge with a bang. Fantastic painting on a really creative project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Trojan horse is a thing of beauty. I love the rope bindings on the legs and the rope reins and bridle- fantastic design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really nice model and was a tremendous amount of fun to work on.

      Delete
  9. Dude - awesome work here, what a great project! The models all look great and the Trojan Horse would be super on a mantlepiece all by itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dal! Yeah, the Horse is probably one of the few models in my collection that could sit out in the living room without Sarah raising an eyebrow. :)

      Delete
  10. Excellent work,lovely horse and figures, a fitting end to the procedings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous work Curt - top notch submission to close out Season XIV!

    And in a remarkable bit of synchronicity, I am half way through reading David Gemmel's Troy series and just ordered a bunch of Foundry Myceneans and Trojans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! I'll have to check that series out. Thanks for the tip. :)

      Delete
  12. Simply awesome work Curt! Both with the entry and with this year's challenge. That horse belongs in a museum's permanent display. Thank you again for the opportunity to participate this year. I was extremely impressed with the quality and quantity of work that seamlessly appeared in the blog every day. Your magnificent minions have earned a rest and a beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob, you're very kind, but you're absolutely right about our minions - they hit it out of the park this year.

      Delete
  13. That’s rather fine …now when do you get the rabbit from the Holy Grail I wonder .Well done on your points tally this year indeed .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Dave. Yes, it seems I inadvertently pipped you at the post this year. Now, that's a first. :)

      Delete
  14. Wonderful finish Curt. Love it. Right, time to trawl through all the entries again and pick some of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great project, Curt! Fantastic horse and figures. You’re a brave man, I really don’t like building figures much, even less in 20mm and in printed resin. But they look absolutely splendid! Thanks for another fantastic Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn. Yeah, I'm no fan of assembling figures either, but my options were limited in the scale I wished to use. I'm delighted you had a great Challenge.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the opportunity to paint with like-minded hobbyists! A real highlight of the year.

    I'd play that game. But look out for snowspeeders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! Who knows, maybe we can arrange a future game using Discord.

      Delete
  17. Great final post ! The Trojan Horse looks fantastic and I like the look of the figures, especially how you have painted and based them. Reminds me of the other Biblical Libyan "diorama" that you painted in a previous challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez! Delighted you like my efforts to date. :)

      Delete
  18. Brilliant work mate! I think this may be the best closing entry yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A truly wonderful offering Curt and a great centerpiece for your games -- now I wonder what it will take to change history and save Troy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I plan to have a good chance that the Greeks' plan will go sideways and it becomes 'A Horse Too Far'. :)

      Delete
  20. Thanks again for running this Curt, and for letting me be part of the Minions this year! Always great to see what can be accomplished over these month, and wonderful final entry there! Congrats on a top 10 finish as well, Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyle! And thanks again for all your wonderful work as our Sunday Minion. You did brilliantly.

      Delete
  21. Awesome mate, I've had a nightmare during the last month and not posted anything ! I came on today to put my last post on but missed the deadline 😢 Thanks once again for running this mate, it's a great event 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that your last month has been a struggle, Ken. I suggest integrating your last post into your Challenge wrap-up shot, if that works for you.

      Delete
  22. Congratulations on yet another excellent Challenge. My own campaign has fallen short of my target for the first time ever. That was partly down to not having a new project to galvanize my painting, and partly because life/work etc have kept me away from the desk. Next year I will do better! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee! No worries on your Challenge falling a little short of your expectations. It's all good fun and I anticipate you will have a new project to better keep you enthused and on the rails. :)

      Delete
  23. Another excellent Painting Challenge done and dusted. Thanks for taking the time to organized the event. I had a great time participating, and I am very happy with the results I was able to achieve. It's always a great motivator for me to turn bare metal and plastic into tabletop warriors. Now to get all those newly painted some battle experience.

    Cheers,
    Frederick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted that you had a good Challenge, Frederick. Enjoy the fruits of your labour!

      Delete
  24. What a bang for the Challenge conclusion! I'm a fan of everything Troy since my teen years, after reading the chapter about Schliemann in Ceram's "Gods, Graves and Scholars" book.
    I can hardly believe my eyes seeing that model of the Trojan Horse, love it!
    Thanks as usual for investing time and effort in this wonderful annual gathering. I reckon that my painting mojo has decreased substantially since COVID, but the Challenge is an opportunity to have my brushes active every year.
    Also, a word of appreciation to the minions for putting the effort all these months.
    Hope to see you around in nine months from now!
    Best
    Benito

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benito - I'm very happy that you like my 'Trojan' efforts and am delighted to hear the the Challenge provides you with that little extra spark to get the brushes and paints out.

      Delete
  25. Lovely and most worthy final entry of Challenge XIV. Thanks for putting this jalopy together and guiding it through the winter months. It's certainly helped me chip away at the Pile of Potential as well as enjoy other challengers' output. Hope to see everyone next winter if not before!

    ReplyDelete