Saturday 12 March 2016

From MartinN - 15mm Cold War Gone Hot (39 Points)

Not being someone known for his resilience when it comes to new shiny toys, the moment I saw the new Team Yankee stuff on the web, I knew I'd to get my hands on it at some point. Surprisingly, I managed to hold on until Tactica, but by then my resolve finally crumbled and I virtually threw my  cash at the fine people selling my newest object of desire.


As Bundeswehr will only be released later this year I first went for a soviet mechanised platoon. As addiction dictates and getting a bit carried away by my excitement, I forgot to buy their means of transport but instead acquired a whole company worth of T-72's. I'll probably never actually be able to field these in a single game. Only later was I to realise my 'little' mistake but at that time all available BMP's and other means of dapper transport for these fellows were already gone. No big deal though, as I need another squad to round out the platoon anyway. Looking at the platoon commander below I don't think it hurts these guys too much to be degraded to footsloggers for the time being. Seems like catering with the red army wasn't that bad after all.


Not being a big fan of the Flames of War rules I instead decided to go with the 'Cold War Gone Hot' supplement for Force on Force. Having enjoyed some games pitching regular versus irregular troops I'm rather curious to see how the game system copes with regular forces fighting it out against each other.


Both platoons comprise of a NCO with Ak-74, one guy with the infamous RPG 7, two with RPK light machine gun and three other fellows sporting AK 74's of whom one is also carrying a RPG-18 disposable anti-tank rocket launcher.


The figures are quite nice and painted up rather well, but the casting quality is a bit of a disappointment. Some miniatures suffered from huge amounts of flash and mould lines while others were disfigured by misaligned moulds. For the price Battlefront are asking for I'd expect a better quality control. For the next figures I'd maybe give Khurasan a try, if only shipping and customs weren't that disproportionate from the states.


I'm no expert on soviet armour but the plastic T-72 clearly is an improvement on the Shermans that came with the first FoW Open Fire starter set. Not quite happy with the colour (it's too green if you get my meaning) but our very own GregB already sent me his recipe for painting soviet armour. Thanks mate!


The box comes complete with decals and a set of plastic tank commanders which are quite nice.


16 foot figures, one tank and a half figure in 15mm should net me another 39 points. That's 574 points for the challenge and 499 points for the side duel.

As I pointed out in a previous post I'm away with work for the week ahead and probably won't get any more painting done in the meantime. So all that's left for me to do is to admit defeat to my good friend ChrisS. Well done Chris. I tip my hat to you Sir! Just let me know what figure you want me to paint for you.

As this will be my last post for this years challenge I've included the, by now, obligatory group shot. Even considering the missing Winter GI's and Halftrack, which are by now safe in g'old Great Britain, I'm definitely not disappointed by what I achieved during the last few weeks. Especially considering the limited time during the first month.


Now I feel it's time for a few last parting words. First of all I want to thank our beloved Mr. Snowman Snowlord for organising the challenge once again. As always it was a pleasure to be part of this hobby spectacle par excellence. My admiration also goes to Mrs. Sarah for enduring all this year after year on end. Of course we won't forget our trusty minions who, despite me being under direct administration of THE man himself, I dare to say made a fantastic job. I always enjoyed your good humoured comments. And last but not least my heart felt thanks to all my fellow participants for some excellent weeks. It was a pleasure!

Thus ends your spectacular Saturday hat-trick Nick! Stonking stuff Nick!
Greg, Byron and I were just playing with his excellent 'Team Yankee' collection the other night (LOVE those Hinds) and Greg had mentioned that you were jumping in on the bandwagon, so I'm delighted to see your stuff here this week. Again, your 15mm infantry is so excellent that they look like 28s - it's just amazing. The T72 is excellent as well and I particularly like the commander and the HMG done up in a very convincing NMM.
Finally, thank you for your kind words of thanks to me and the crew of the Challenge. It's very much appreciated but our work has been aided by the enthusiasm and good-will of you along with all of the Challenge participants. 
 

17 comments:

  1. Top-notch work Martin - it took me a while to believe that these were indeed 15mm figures with the amount of detailing you've painted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! Excellent work. I've heard mixed reviews on the Battlefront infantry - if you wish to persist, I recommend the 15mm lads from Eureka. But overall, WOW! Great job. Also, I love the idea of Force-on-Force.

    Great work Nick - incredible quality and inspiration though the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the lardies are just about to do a modern version of chain of command but force on force is a welcome return to the 1980s too, lovely minis by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very good paintwork on these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's getting quite difficult to come with new ways of expressing my admiration for the detail you get onto 15mm figures. Just amazing.... The tank is lovely, the colour modulation is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super work ... I love the I forgot the simple transport..so I will have a T72!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed. All that Khaki can be a bit drab but you've really made it pop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Showing me things like that is doing VERY little for my reserve. These are absolutely stunning. I just cannot say how much I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely fantastic painting Nick! Your strongly tempting me with starting up some 15mm Cold War, but I must resist.... That's a superb collection of outstandingly painted miniatures in the challenge that I really must see up close!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've really been busy lately! Great sprint to the finish line Nick! Amazing paintjobs all around!

    I find Force on Force works better for Regular vs. Irregular fights, but it's a pretty solid ruleset for more symmetrical combat as well. Importance of support weapons etc. really comes in to play more then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. impressive paintwork! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful painting on these. Looking forwards to seeing the Bundeswehr

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, especially the tank looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Damn, those are seriously nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really lovely work, Nick! I would have thought them 28mm if I hadn't of read the title! Lovely detail you got on them and I like the blending on that tank!

    ReplyDelete