Tuesday 14 January 2020

From PaulSS - Union skirmish line (84 points)


I've already painted up a box of the Perry Miniatures Confederate infantry as part of the challenge, so it's time to make a start on a box of their American Civil War Union Infantry in sack coats skirmishing set.

One thing that our recent Longstreet campaign has showed me is that you can probably never have enough command stands so I made a start on these first. The flags are just downloaded from Warflag and printed off at Office Depot. After sticking them on I mess up the trim of braid with a sharp scalpel then repaint it bronze, then brass, then gold. I think it gives a rather nice effect.


The officers terrier is of unknown providence, I think after painting it the model is supposed to be an Airedale terrier so the legs should probably be a lot lighter.


The skirmishing infantry frames make a nice selection from the mass of charging or right shoulder shift that make up the bulk of my 28mm ACW forces. The "ramming home" set of arms I really do like.


Mrs Scrivs painted me a nice backdrop for my photo-shoots in acrylics on canvas, and as well as adding to the general ambience of the picks I've convinced myself that it likely shows off the highlights on the figures better in the pictures.


If I am adding up correctly, I think that this lot should score:
16 x 28mm foot = 80pts
2 x flags = 2pts
1 x puppy = 2pts (I think this would probably be about right)

------

By Paul - lovely dynamic figures, and any force sporting a war hound deserves a morale bonus on the table in my book! Lovely job on the flags too - those tassels look spot on

84 points on the board - extra bonus to Mrs Scrivs for the cracking backdrop, a nice dinner out (at your expense, naturally)

19 comments:

  1. Lovely look feds Scrivs, and kudos to your Mrs on the backdrop. I’m a big user of Warflags stuff, a great free resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, she's too critical of her own talents. Warflags are indeed ace.

      Delete
  2. Well done, particularly the extra effort on the flags, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Paul. Any entry with a dog in it is a win with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt.
      Well, you may be in for a treat on a later post ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks @Paul I'll see what the reserves run to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look excellent once again! Quite envious of your superb backdrop too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do think that Victoria should be sharing my points ;)

      Delete
  6. Super looking Union troops! Nice dog!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirmishers look great. Painting the flags is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, I think a little effort to add the detail to the fringes of the flags does go a long way.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking blue coats Paul!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete