Tuesday 14 January 2020

From JamesM: 10mm Lady Mage (Sarah's Balloon) (37 points)

Someone once told me a joke about hot air balloons.

But I think it went over my head....

Now you have an appropriate sinking feeling, I have decided after much contemplation and discussions with the Lady of the Lake (yes, yes, Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of navigation…), that my initial foray onto the island should be via airborne assault. 

After all, it worked so well at Arnhem... a plan so cunning it could not possibly fail twice.  

As such, my first entry to Challenge Island is a single 10mm female spell caster representing on the battlefield the power of the Lady of the Lake - a model from Polar Fox Studios 'Aquitania' range. She is mounted on a horse and wielding both a sword and a staff (which has a knob on the end, as the Pratchett joke goes). Bedecked in the kings colours of green and red (more on that in another post), with the Lady of the Lake's blue featuring prominently as well. 

Standard size D6 for size reference!


She is based on a 25mm mdf base complete with 7mm dice holder, for use in some as yet to be decided system. She represents my first challenge entry for my 'For Joshua' project, and as such is destined to be raffled off (as part of a full set of twinned opposing armies) in order to raise money for both 4louis and my local NHS Charity. This is being done in honour of my little boy Joshua, who was very sadly stillborn in September last year, aged 34 weeks and 2 days. 

More information on the project, so generously supported so far by Curt, DaveD, MartinC, Adam and Ray as well as others not taking part in the challenge, can be found here

More 10mm fantasy will follow! I've a few different bits on the go at the same time. 

In the meantime, in the true spirit of obtaining as many points as possible Ballooning, I offer a token glass of something bubbly in order to further attract the pilots attention. 


Lady Sarah might take some pleasure in knowing that my request as to whether we owned such a thing as a champagne glass, and could I 'borrow' it, has to rank amongst the most random thing I have asked my lady wife regarding my hobby. And she's put up with me buying denture cleaning brushes (for cleaning minis - I have no dentures), wooden floor polish (for magic wash, we have no wooden floors), Dettol (for stripping miniatures, I don't even know what else you use Dettol for), tongue depressors (...), corks (...), pipe cleaners, etc, etc. 

I would like to hitch a lift on the Balloon to Bromley's Butte, where I can insert myself. From the Balloon. Via rope. Or somesuch. 

Points for this entry: 2 points for a single mounted 10mm figure. 5 Points for the bubbly. 30 points for the Challenge Island Entry. 5 points for how hard maths is after the bubbly. Total of 37 points!

-----

By Paul - Airborne Assault is indeed an entirely feasible approach. I see this less as an Arnhem type assault and more the surgical precision strike of the Germans upon Fort Eben-Emael in 1940 - entirely successful! 

I trust that your random request to your good lady wife was repaid by allowing her to enjoy the contents of said glass...



13 comments:

  1. Excellent, will start the new batch later this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on this, hope you enjoyed a 'fizz' that was not Irn-Bru ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing first entry, she really looks the part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I had no idea that t this was a 10mm figure on my first read through your post. Excellent work. I know where the champagne flutes are kept, but have had similar conversations with my wife on odd hobby items. Dettol is used to disinfect wounds as well as strip paint from minis, and ones daughters toothbrush makes an excellent tool to scrub away any remaining residue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't beat a nice glass of bubbly! Well done, 10mm is such an awesome scale. Fine brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant looking 10mm figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as you don't mistakenly have Dettol in the champagne flute we're all good. :) Fabulous entry, James. Such a great little mini. Have to check Polar Fox out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ��Lady Sarah is thrilled with the champagne! This will ensure that you will safely land on Bromely’s Butte, unless you really want to rappel down a rope ... Environment Canada forecast is -42C, The Lady of the Lake might need to temporarily change her name to Lady of the Frozen Lake!
    Your FrequentFlyer card has been punched ... 3 flights will garner you an additional 10pts ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks magnificent. Really nice, clean work on such a small figure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done James on a tiny stand!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete