Monday 17 January 2022

From ManusH - 1798 Rebellion Characters and Isle of Lewis Chessmen (61 points)

Hey everyone! 
Since my last post I've painted lots. First up are two Leaders for my Sharp Practice United Irish Rebellion project. 
This uniform was really fun to paint 

 

This figure is General John Moore, most famous for his part in the Peninsular War. Earlier in his career, he was involved in the 1798 Irish Rebellion. Moore was among the generals sent to encircle Wexford Town. He engaged the rebels at Foulksmills, where his force included members of the 60th Rifles. 

Moore is well remembered in Wexford. In comparison to generals such as Gerard Lake, he showed leniency and restraint. On one occasion, Moore remarked that he would have joined the rebels had he been born Irish. 

I love this sculpt. It's from Trent Miniatures' Irish Rebellion range. I think Trent's mounted figures really stand out. Their proportions are quite oversized, but I think it makes the figures easily visible, and gives them a good likeness to the historical personalities they represent. 



Flag reads "Erin Go Bragh", a corruption of the Irish "Éireann go Brách", or "Ireland Forever" 

This is Robert Emmet, a Leader for my rebels. In April 1798, Emmet was expelled from Trinity College Dublin for his involvement with the United Irishmen. He didn't play a large part in the 1798 Rebellion. 

In 1803, Emmet attempted to reorganise the United Irishmen and launch a further rebellion. Like his predecessors, he aimed to secure French and radical British assistance, but failed. His uprising was defeated within a day. It would, however, continue to inspire nationalist organisations. 

A rather bewildered-looking bishop



A furious berserker! 



A noble knight


These are some test pieces for an Isle of Lewis chess set. I've wanted to paint one of these sets in a colourful style ever since I first saw them, nearly 10 years ago. They are truly intriguing designs, full of character. I've always thought of them as the medieval equivalent of wargaming miniatures.

The pieces were found in a cave or pit on the Isle of Lewis in the 19th Century. Several sets, complete or partial were found. They are Scandinavian in origin, and were probably made in Trondheim from walrus ivory. They date from the 12th Century. How they ended up on the Isle of Lewis is unclear. There are theories that the sets were being shipped to cities in Britain or Ireland for high class buyers. The Meath Queen is a contemporary piece of similar design found in Ireland, showing that chess sets of this style were popular in areas under Viking influence.

I had these pieces 3d printed for me on a resin printer. The STL files are available for free here. There are lots of other STLs of these pieces available however, so it's possible to use different designs of pieces. The real sets have lots of variation between them.

In terms of points, these figures add up to:

2x28mm foot @5pts each = 10pts
1x28mm mounted @10pts
2x54mm foot @10pts=20pts
1x54mm mounted=20 pts
Total=60pts

Excellent post Manus.  I am really enjoying the United Irish project .  My father in law was an Irish immigrant and Lynne and I had a really enjoyable week in ireland including a nice stop in Wexford.  There is a lot more to Moore than "the guy who dies at Corunna"  and it's nice to see him so well painted.  

And I have to get those Lewis chessman.  These are the sorts of artifacts that led me to nearly getting locked in the British Museum overnight (true story) and the red you've used looks great.  What colour kit will the opposition field?  I've added a point for the flag - what is it's source?

15 comments:

  1. Great work Manus! The chessmen are great! I have a replica of one that I bought at the Museum on a trip to the UK years ago and it's one of my favourite little keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection of mini's but the chessmen must really be my favourite out of the bunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Manus! I'm very much enjoying following the progress of your Irish Rebellion project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool submission! While I can never keep track of which Irish rebellion was which, the paint work is superb. But those chess pieces! How cool is that? Neat project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting pieces. That red you have there is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Irishmen, I'd like to visit that island again some time. My first (and so far obly) week there was may be a little too much around Guinness and Bulmers. And Jameson. But I got some lessons on the history as well. Great place, great minis here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t wait to see more of your chess project!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some amazing brushwork, full of little details like Moore’s gray hair that I really admire. Terrific stuff.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome
    The chess pieces are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those chess pieces are brilliant, but what really caught my attention was your take on skin tones on the other figures… absolutely gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those leaders are great, but the chessmen are a little treat. I didn’t think of searching for an STL.

    ReplyDelete