Monday 17 January 2022

From FrederickC: WW2 Soviet Anti-Tank Guns and Heavy Weapons (200 points)

In my post from last Monday, we saw a major buildup of my Bolt Action Soviet tank forces. This week we are looking at giving the Soviet infantry some much needed firepower. All of the figures and weapons in this post are from the Plastic Soldier Company's 28mm range, specifically their boxes of 'Russian 45mm Anti-Tank Gun' and 'Russian Heavy Weapons'. 

The Plastic Soldier Company's range are an inexpensive alternative to metal, or even multi-pose plastic figures, although I do find some of the poses remind me of the cheap toy soldiers I owned as a young boy, especially those cast as a single piece. They are fine in length and width, but a bit lacking in depth. All of the figures were assembled, mounted on bases (with the exception of the anti-tank gun crews) and primed black using a rattle can. I painted them using acrylics from the Vallejo Soviet Paint Set. Finally everything was hit with Army Painter Strong Tone Quick Shade. The Quick Shade leaves everything with a glossy finish, so when the weather is warmer I will be taking these outside to give them a coat of matte spray to dull them down a bit.



The Russian 45mm Anti-Tank Gun box contains 2 guns and 8 crew figures. Each gun sprue has different barrel options to allow you to build any of the following: 45mm M1937 anti tank gun, 45mm M1942 anti tank gun or 76mm M1943 infantry gun. Since I am current working on an early Operation Barbarossa theme, I built my guns as the M1937 version. The set also contains ammo boxes, both live shells and spent casings, as well as a rifle and sub-machine gun to add to the ambience. Since the bases I used for my guns were getting a bit crowded, I shifted some of the ammo boxes to the medium mortar bases, and the rifles to the machine gun bases.

 



The Russian Heavy Weapons box provides you enough sprues to build 26 miniatures and 8 models depicting WW2 Russian infantry heavy weapons as follows: 2 x 3 man Pulemyot Maxima PM1910 machine gun teams firing, 2 x 2 man machine gun teams moving, 2 x 2 man RM-38 50mm light mortar teams, 2 x 3 man M-37 82mm medium mortar teams, 2 x 2 man firing PTRS-41 anti -tank rifles, and 2 moving PTRS anti-tank rifles.

 

Pulemyot Maxima PM1910 machine gun teams

M-37 82mm medium mortar and RM-38 50mm light mortar teams

PTRS-41 anti -tank rifle teams
 

The points being claimed are as follows:

32 x 28mm figures @ 5 points each = 160 points 

(I am counting the prone anti-tank rifle teams as half figures)

2 4x 28mm artillery pieces @ 10 points each = 20 40 points

(I was hoping that the machine guns and mortars might be worth a few points, but apparently "size matters" when it comes to crew served weapons) 

За Родину (For the Homeland)

Stout defenders of Holy Mother Russia Frederick.  Nice work and they look good on your tabletop.  My research (i.c checking with Tamsin) told me that the 81mm mortars do count so I've upped you scores accordingly.


10 comments:

  1. They do look like they mean business, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Frederick. Yes, the PSC figures are a tad lacking in the third dimension, but the value of their kits is impossible to pass up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do have a certain old school toy soldier aesthetic. Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a lot of firepower to give Fritz fits! Well done, and like you I have a soft spot for PSC figures despite their limitations. The gloss from the AP shade will go away with some matte spray. I find the Windsorcand Newton matte spray works a treat.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, and I like the photo setting!

    ReplyDelete