Monday 17 January 2022

From StuartL - Planet Hopping - Vulcan and Babylon 5 - 60 points

Hello everyone.
Just a short post from me this week. I have a bunch more stuff on my painting desk, but sadly work has started up again and I haven't been able to get as much done as I would have liked. 
To continue my trip around the outer ring of the Challenge XII Quadrant, I have two single model entries for Vulcan and Babylon 5.

For Vulcan, one of the themes on offer was Logical, and since I have been painting up a slew of robots and androids recently, I made sure to put one aside for this planet. 


Once again, this is a Reaper Bones mini and will be a part of my This Is Not A Test warband. While robots themselves are (I assume) genderless, this one has been designed to mimic the female anatomy. Whereas the rest of my warband are in silver colours, I intend to use this model as my leader and so painted it in a nice warm golden colour so that it stands out.


The model was painted in a brass colour first, given a sepia wash and then had gold highlights added along with some black and dark grey areas to add some visual interest.

Next up on my clockwise cruise is Babylon 5 and here we are looking for some low budget fun.
One game that I have enjoyed a lot is Gaslands. It's published by Osprey as part of their cheap 'blue books' gaming rules, and is playable with die cast toy cars. 


The car comes from Toys'R'Us's own brand of toy cars and I think it cost me just over $1. The guns come from a free sprue of Warlord Games Cruel Seas, I think they are meant to be torpedo tubes? The engine block is a spare power pack from a Games Workshop Sentinel kit.

Oops! Looks like I made a small mistake just above the rear lights, I'll have to clean that up...

Rather than my usual base colour, wash and highlight, I approach my Gaslands models a little differently. The game is supposed to be set in a Dark Future (pun intended) where drivers race cars seeking to earn money and a ticket off planet, so I figured that vehicle wouldn't be nice and shiny. For this model, I started with a layer of dark red, added another thin layer of a brighter red and finally a thin top layer of even brighter red. Some of the original colours show through each layer which makes the paint look more worn and adds depth to the rather flat and boring panels on the vehicle.

I believe that Gaslands vehicles are usually scored as 20mm vehicles, so the car nets me 15 points and the 28mm robot is worth 5, plus two planet locations at 20 each gives me a grand total of 60 points.


Hopefully I'll be back next week with a bit more to offer.

That's a lovely looking female robot Stuart, great work on her brasswork.  I haven't got into Gaslands myself but I enjoy seeing the work other do kitbashing various vehicles for their projects.

10 comments:

  1. Nice robot!

    Also, good to see Gaslands getting some love. It’s a great convention participation game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Gaslands. Another game on my to play shelf when I can finally corral some gaming friends together for a weekend. Love the conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat looking robot and car, Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty car! Too often the Gaslands cars are painted as piles of rust and dust, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gaslands sounds like a lot of fun and your new car will be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the robot. Was watching some transformer/ autobot thing w the grandkids last week and was wondering why the lady robot had a bosom, but I see that’s a thing robot designers do. 😉
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Definite Metropolis vibes there.

    ReplyDelete