Monday 17 January 2022

From Mike W - 28mm Late 17th Century Mounted Cossacks (70 Points)

These 7 figures are my final instalment for a Late 17th century Cossack force to be used in my Siege of Vienna collection. 

Six Cossacks with their leader to the left.

Over the years I have created 3 other 6 figure units - this brings the collection up to 24 rank and file models, plus a leader.

A view of the Command / Leader model, showing some of the wide range of weapons available to him and his men - not all Cossacks have all or the same weapons, though I did give all a lance.

The figures are based up Gripping Beast's Arab Light Cavalry with a number of suitable bald heads added from various other manufacturers  including Gripping Beast Dark Ages Infantry and Wargames Atlantic Irish (t name a couple) and I believe I've used an old Games Workshop Space Wolf head on the Cossack command figure.

I opted to give this guys a 'Wing' to indicate his leadership position in the unit. My interpretation of what I have read about the period, 'Wings' were not unique to the Hussars, so I have used it as a device to highlight his status.

The leader has also been given a 'feathered wing' as a mark of his rank, something he's maybe seen being used by their allies the Polish Hussars.

The Cossacks - with a variety of bald heads to give them a period look and feel.

As ever the figures are undercoated white and then painted in suitable colours. I used Army Painter Dark Tone dip to fit in with the other figures that I've previously done. All figures are varnished with Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish, unfortunately, the matt varnish has nor cured as matt as I like it. (I'm thinking that the Army Dip may not have been completely dry and has thus reacted with the Matt Varnish).

I gave the Cossacks a wide range of weapons - lance, bow, swords, pistols and muskets to give them an irregular appearance and make them look scary! Controversially, my view is that in reality they were light cavalry with a fearsome reputation but unlikely to be able to stand up to disciplined, heavy cavalry opposition
 
Bases are covered with a fine sand before electrostatic grass is added along with a smattering of tufts.

The whole 24 figure collection, they will form a screen for two mixed brigades of Pancerni and Hussars. The Polish brigades are to be supported by Austrian and German Cuirassier Brigades

POINTS
7 x 28mm Mounted Cossacks  = 70 POINTS

I am continuing with the alternating Mike/no Mike theme today and we're back to Mike's turn.  Great to see the 17C get some love and especially in Eastern Europe.  Great looking Cossacks, I'll go hide my valuables....

11 comments:

  1. And who doesn't like a milling horde of Cossacks? Nice work, Mike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking cossacks, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bootiful! Love the Winged Commander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Mike. Something fascinating about the Siege of Vienna...on the one hand, folks seem to require a lot of conversions, speaking perhaps to a paucity of figures covering the setting...at the same time, it also speaks to the sheer variety of troops and backgrounds that would have been in action. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking, eclectic unit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, the 24 strong unit especially looks very nice and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your ‘winged’ leader!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thoughtful and effective conversions, nicely painted. The bald heads are perfect for Cossacks.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete