Wednesday 7 January 2015

From MartinC - I thought you'd be taller (126 Points)

As others have already posted the Anti-hero bonus theme, and Curt's well deserved fee, I thought I'd post mine. Snake Plissken strode though my youth like a surly Collosus.  Not surprising when every one who met him said "I thought you'd be taller". I loved Escape from New York.





The 28mm figure is from Hasslefree and was great, although I find the separate arms with both hands on one piece annoying, I always end up with a gap that needs filling. He has been injected with the microscopic explosives in his neck and sent on his mission to Regina where Curt will need to de-activate them with X-rays within the week. His mission is to slightly interfere with Curt's OCD by moving everything 1" to the left..

For Christmas I received a 28mm scale Empress Rolls Royce armoured car from my baffled sister. The model is beautiful and apart from a huge chunk of resin on turret had almost no flashing. It was fairly easy to put together apart from the radiator and engine cover which I could not get to fit well. Of course there were no bleeding instuctions and only a couple of unpainted diagrams on the interweb. Why oh why oh why don't they at least include a decent diagram (sorry slipped into Daily Telegraph letters page mode for a minute).







I undercoated the whole kit in black post assembly and then painted with several washes of Foundry Drab. I then went over all the seams with my permanent black 0.1mm micro pen and dry brushed with the light drab. If you don't own one of these pens I strongly recommend getting one. For years I have undercoated in black as I find it gives depth to the figures but means using many coats of flesh and white. However I have been adding shadow lines with the pen and it works really well, especially on webbing and straps. From now on I will be undercoating in the predominant colour and using the pen The whip aerial and tools are from my bits box.


Then there is the ubiquitous ACW regiment, the 7th Louisiana. The strap edges have been done with the pen and I used all my shades of grey to paint these (sounds like a mucky book). I'm also starting to get the hang of washes now, not something I do normally. I am so old school.





O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!". These figures will take me over my target of 1000 and I still have 5 infantry regiments and 4 cannon to paint. I have also gone a little mad at the January sales and bought a lot of stuff. Lets up the target to 2000 and see what happens.


Finally this is my space with another one of my presents a magnifying lamp - these are great and pretty cheap - excuse the curtains, I only bought the house recently from an old lady and haven't got round to changing them yet.


From Curt:Brilliant! I look forward to trying to thwart Mr. Plissken's nefarious mission. Thank you very much Martin! 
I've been wondering how that Empress Rolls AC measures up. You've made it look very good indeed. I'd like to see how it compares to the new one from Trenchworx.  
I like your painting station (great natural light) but those curtains just HAVE to go. ;) 
AND congratulations on meeting your points target. I'll get you logged in for 2K - good luck!

25 comments:

  1. Nice work on all of these Martin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Martin - I feel the need to switch to a few ACW units just to keep pace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Generally the ACW are fairly quick - couple of nights to do a regiment - I'm definitely a dauber. I've just finished a unit of Zouaves though and that took me a week.

      Delete
  3. I heard that you were dead Snake;-)
    what are you doing there?

    one of my favourite anti-hero characters, a very good choice!

    Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work all the way around. That Rolls is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I'm actually quite chuffed with the Rolls. Its the 1st model I've made for ages and the 1st armoured vehicle since the 1980's

      Delete
  5. The Rolls is very good I do so hope you are planning some "Arab revolt" action with it. And "Snake" Pliskin is a very "Black light" entry! (No I don't know what that means either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta. At moment it is planned to patrol the roads of Northumbria for VBCW but I've always wanted one since I saw Lawrence of Arabia so a possible plan for later in the year - I have some train track

      Delete
  6. Very nice painting work, Martin. The Rolls is fantastic. I´m fighting with one of these splendid models and, as you have said, there is not information about how to put together those 64 pieces!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, only instructions for the wheels, which are easy. I have about 6 bits left over, although I left the engine out and will use that to build some strange VBCW vehicle

      Delete
  7. Lovely work, especially the armoured car.

    I tried to get one of the pens the other day but they only had them in sets so will continue to look for one

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do love the armoured car. My Blackwells book store has an art section and they sell them individually. Need to be permanent though otherwise it runs if you paint over it. The 0.05mm is even better

      Delete
  8. Two of my favorite characters in movies were Kurt Russell ones Jack Burton and Snake ! Great job!
    The rebels are great, but my favorite is the rolls Royce AC! That thing is beautiful! It really turned out well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have another Kurt Russell fig for the hot challenge

      Delete
  9. Really enjoyed the Snake Plisken figure. Nice work on the armored car and Confederates. Passed 1000!? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I am exhausted now though. Back to work so rate will slow and I am going to try to improve the painting by going for quality not quantity for a while

      Delete
  10. nice - i do like the AC in particular

    ReplyDelete
  11. Top stuff Martin. The R.R. A/C looks rather tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave and Roy. I am really pleased with it. Think I've found a new strand to my hobby. Definitely going to build more armour although I will always remain an infantry man at heart

      Delete
  12. Escape from New York remains one of my favourite good "bad" films. Nice to see Snake getting some love in miniature. Cracking work on the AC too Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta. Enjoyed painting them both. The ACW was becoming a bit of a chore so time for a change

      Delete
  13. Cracking stuff Martin wiv Snake being the stand out entry for me. Liked him so much I've ordered him myself, and that's a great paint-job too. Nice to see a glossy finish too - looks like a proper toy soldier now. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers mate. he photographed much better than i expected. The pose is great and i'm really impressed with Hasslefree, good service, great figs (I have more to show later) and I got free popping candy

      Delete