Friday 10 February 2023

From TamsinP: A Very Recognisable Crate [Arthouse] (21.5 points)


Scene: The freight docks at Regina Downport

Characters: Borno, the foreman; Hanro, a dock worker


H: Is that it for this load, boss?

B: Nope, just one more crate.

H: OK, where is it then?

B: Section 4D, stack 12.

H: Which one is it?

B: According to the list, it's the one from Mon D'rian Shipping.

H: Right, but which one is it in the stack?

B: It will be really obvious according to this note "Sticks out like a sore thumb".

H: I'll take your word for it...







28mm figure for scale

Yes, this is my entry for the Arthouse studio. I had a spare one of these crates knocking around (which hadn't printed as well as it could have done) so I decided to paint it up for this studio. Not, perhaps...OK, definitely not the best rendition of Piet Mondrian's signature style but good enough for this purpose. The biggest problem I had with this was covering over the gridlines I'd penciled onto the crate to guide the blocks of colour - white, red and yellow paints are so transparent that I had to go back over them with a more opaque colour (sky grey for the white, yellow ochre for the red and yellow) and then reapply them in several thin layers to get the saturation I wanted. The next problem was trying to paint consistent thin black lines around the blocks of colour.

The crate is a 3D print of a file from 2nd Dynasty's Traveller range - I actually scaled it up to 200% of the original size so it is now 2"x2"x4". That works out to 16 cubic inches, 0.07 terrain cubes, which should be worth a whopping 1.5 points - thank heavens for the 20 studio points!


It also means that I have now completed 4 studios in the Blue zone giving me my Red pass for the Director's Chair studio and can petition the Show-Lord for a chance to take a seat in the Producer's Chair. What fiendish task will he set me for that privilege? 



For Scoring: 

1 crate = 0.07 terrain cubes @20 = 1.5 points

1 x studio @ 20 = 20 points

Total = 21.5 points


Minion Miles: wow - it's a 3D tetris miniature!  I do admire how clean all the lines are!


35 comments:

  1. I thought it was a rectangular rubics cube, lovely work, very arty!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.5 points seems very mean. So you see, an artist never gets recognition during their lifetime. I think it’s fabulous, Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did it knowing how few points it would come out as, but that the studio points would compensate for that! :)

      Delete
  3. Funky interpretation Tamsin, a definite piece of hipster terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great, Tamsin! I have no idea what it is (other than crate), but it is pretty. I hope it founds a good use in Traveller games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Look up "Mondrian art" - the crate is painted in that style. :)

      Delete
  5. Haha, that's a brilliant take on the Arthouse theme, Tamsin. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My other idea was to paint something using the Zorn palette, but I couldn't find a suitable figure in my backlog. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. No, no, no! It's a crate painted in the style of Piet Mondrian, an early C20th artist. :)

      Delete
  7. One of the best theme interpretations in a long time. Nice one mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can always rely on me to go literal for a theme like this - I enjoy the challenge too much! :)

      Delete
  8. Nice work, Tamsin! I love the art reference and that is definitely a worthy art house entry! Thank goodness you didn't do a Maltese or Picasso box....you woulda broke the continuum!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Picasso or Dali art on the crate would have been fun, but I didn't think of them at the time! :)

      Delete
  9. That's a great take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely colours and such precise lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! The lines could have been neater, imho. :)

      Delete
  11. Magnificent work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Tamsin. A nice rendition of Modernism (or should it be Post-Modernism). I recall part of a wall in the hallway of my school painted with a design that was very similar, so this really brought back some memories.

    ReplyDelete