Monday 11 February 2019

From BenF: 6mm Cold War Soviet odds and sods (95 points)

Baby induced sleep deprivation continues apace, and after a few weeks of parental leave I'm due to head back to work this coming Wednesday so hopefully I've got a few more entries in me this challenge. Baby Evie is wonderful though, and its amazing how much new forms change each day. Also amazing, I've managed to meet my target for this challenge! I'm feeling lucky, so let's raise it to 750 points.

For this entry, I've painted up a bunch of leftover Soviet items which I need to finish off my 1984 forces. First off, I've got some engineering assets. For our planned campaign, 3rd Shock Army will have lots of water barriers to cross, and what better to do so with than an MT55 and a TMM bridgelayer. The MT55 is based on the T55 hull, so is armoured, while the TMM is just a bridge on a truck. Both of these are from Heroics and Ros, and I have an order in for deployed bridges for both of these, along with a GSP ferry. 



My motorised rifle forces required some extra support to meet the historical OOBs were using for our Cold War Commander campaign. First off, some Gaz-66 trucks and mortars to support the motorised battalions. Unfortunately I've managed to lose one mortar team, so another is on the way from Heroics and Ros. The trucks are GHQ.


Here is a pair of BTR-50PK armoured personnel carriers, which will serve to carry my engineering company. Soviet engineers tended to use older equipment, the latest kit going first to the 'teeth' of the army. These are Heroics and Ros.

I was also short a few infantry bases, so here they are from Heroics and Ros.

I've found in my games so far that artillery is key to succeeding with a Soviet force, particularly when faced with those nasty Chieftains, M1s and Challengers. To that end, here are some gods of war  - 180mm S23 howitzer. The guns are a divisional asset, so will be only occasionally used, but they pack a hell of a punch. The guns are from Scotia Grendel, crews from Heroics and Ros.


Next up, a brace of 9P148 'Konkurs' anti tank guided missile carriers. Based on the ubiquitous BRDM-2, these are lightly armoured but deadly long range killers. These are painted to support my motorised rifle troops. The cars are from GHQ.

I've also painted up a company's worth with the Naval flag insignia to support my Naval Infantry force. Also for the Naval infantry is a much needed Forward Air Controller base. 9P148s are from GHQ, everything else from Heroics and Ros. 


Next is something which is a little different. One of the cold war forces in my painting queue is a small Swedish One-  how could I resist the iconic S-Tanks. Now the Soviets did have forces slated to attack northern Sweden and Norway, but they were very different from those in Germany. Tank battalions tank regiments were equipped with T54 and 55 variants, obsolete on the central front but perhaps not so much facing NATOs thinly held northern flank. In the motor rifle regiments things were more dire still. In place of the BMPs and BTRs found elsewhere, in the north infantry were to be carried in thinly armoured and poorly armed MT-LBs, ostensibly because they had lighter ground pressure. The tank battalions which were a part of these regiments were equipped with the antiquated PT-76 amphibious tanks. So in order to let me field a northern front force, I've painted up some extras.

Fist off, a company of T55AMVs from Heroics and Ros. Together with the six I've already painted for my Naval Infantry,this will allow me to field a full battalion to battle it out with any pesky Swedes., .

Next off, more MTLBs than you could shake a stick at. This should be more than enough for any game. They're from GHQ.

Finally, the better part of a battalion of PT-76s. These are from Heroics and Ros, and the final two are in my next order.

To finish it all off, here's a command stand. All are Heroics and Ros except for the MTLB.


And finally a group shot. The total for this entry, the total should be:
36 x 6mm vehicles = 72 points
37 x 6mm infantry = 17.5 points
3 x 6mm guns = 3 pts
Total =92.5 points

Next up, either some more 6mm Cold War RAF aircraft, or a Star Wars Legion Han Solo and Chewbacca.

Wow, you're not letting Evie slow you down. Mouth-watering stuff, and I have a soft spot for the logistics tail of your Soviet horde. I wonder if the S23 will have appropriate air defence nearby, because it will be a juicy target for some NATO fast air... The infantry are 18.5 points, have 1.5 bonus points for the hand-painted insignia and to remove the ugliness of the lone 0.5 point, to take you to 95. Congratulations on upping your target!

Barks

11 comments:

  1. Excellent work Ben. I really like the posing of the vehicles and figures on your bases and the ground work. You've turned them into micro-dioramas. enjoy your time with Evie and get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I do try to make the bases interesting with 6mm, otherwise I find they all blend together

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Ben. I really like the look of those T55s and your command stands always look ace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. Yeah, I love the look of those T55s, they look like a battle tank should. Under all that ERA and technology, its still a T55 though.

      Delete
  3. Great little models. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking mini soviets!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Ben. You sure do some fine work in 6mm - I am particularly impressed with the infantry here.

    ReplyDelete