Thursday 10 February 2022

From GeoffreyT: Muskets and Tomahawks (Istvaan V) (56 points)

This week I will start by presenting six 28mm highlander light infantry from Northstar's Muskets and Tomahawks range.  The are a component of a slow grow collection of figures I have for FIW and AWI era gaming using Toofatlardies Sharp Practice rule set.  I have about 200 foot now, but still need some cavalry to finish the collection.  The collection includes French, Indians, Continentals and of course British.  Being not so fussed by uniform details, these two eras blend together quite well for my purposes.


The tartan I did using a new technique I thought of.  Rather than painting the whole pattern, I added some flecks of coloured paint on green back ground to look like an indistinct pattern you cant see.  Seems OK, at least no worse that my previous attempts at tartan, but much quicker.  


The bonnie blue bonnets look like the wrong kind of blue.   I probably have the uniforms all wrong on these as I didn't research them.  If they are bad enough people will tell me and I can modify them. Probably should shade more between the different white straps, then are not distinct enough.  I should have started the base coat on straps with tan or the white contrast paint instead of cream.  However, they will be fine for bulk troops.


I have done the troops on 20mm bases for this collection.  We have played napoleonic sharp practice with 15mm figs on 10mm frontage, and 28mm figs on 25mm bases, in each case the game was radically different with extremes of mobility, due to amount a block can wheel.  The width of the block frontage also affects how much area they can control with musket fire.  Remembering in sharp practice, movement distances are same regardless of basing convention.  I'm hoping this 20mm size makes for a happy medium.

For Istvaan V bonus, I'll be painting a loyalist.


The Loyalist is a 28mm British line infantry officer, also from Northstar's Muskets and Tomahawks range.  I am calling him a loyalist, as I will be using him Toofatlardies Marion the Swamp Fox campaign, where he will be loyal to the crown fighting against the patriots.


For the 'big-men' I am using 25mm bases to distinguish them.  I have some more from this range that may appear later in the challenge if the urge takes me.


All up, there is 7 x 28mm miniatures = 35 points

+20 bonus for Istvaan V

A squirrel for 28mm FIW british

And in the all important alphabet soup challenge:

K is for Kilts


Kind Regards

Geoff.

Very nice work- I think your tartan is super and deserves an extra point. Basing is an eternal dilemma, and I'm glad you've found your solution. I would like to see more from this from you if we can!

Barks

9 comments:

  1. Nice work Geoff.
    Redcoats and Tartan are a tough ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tartan looks nice, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work. Going for the holistic tartan effect is a sound idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. I’m working on some campaign dressed highlanders for next week. Only one kilt. Cheers, excellent fun with SP2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tartan technique really does work. I wish I knew it before I painted all my Napoleonic highlanders! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m going to keep that tartan technique in the back of my mind should I ever need to paint tartan! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm certainly not qualified to speak to the uniform, but I'm qualified enough to say that I like your painting! The tartan is clever and effective.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete