Thursday 10 February 2022

From KenR: 28mm Garibaldi - The Dunne Battalion (120 points)

 

A little bit of a change this week from the usual redshirts as I present one of the many wonderful units that made up the Garibaldi Army during the Italian Wars of Independence.

The unit itself was formed by British Officers in Palermo who raised the unit from local volunteers. It was well funded and believed to use British Enfield Rifles. The uniform is quite distinctive with its green facings and Red Kilmarnock hats.


The figures I've used are from the Perrys British Intervention Force range and are a bit of a "painting conversion", there should be a blanket roll over the left shoulder but the figure didn't have one, the belts were quite wide so I just painted them grey and from a distance you can't tell. The rivet counters will have a bit of a moment and yes I could of green stuffed the blanket rolls but those who knew how bad I am at modelling will know why I just painted over them !


Points wise I would say, another pint of my usual please 😀  24 28mm figs at 5 a piece is 120.

I'm a bit late with this post so no History this week, I hope to be back next week with some Bersaglieri 


Both the Reillys being tardy this week. Luckily for them a small spot has opened up in my schedule. I appreciate your 'paintversion' for the blankets, and it certainly holds up at arms length.

Barks

24 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying seeing this project take shape, especially since I know so little about the Wars of Independence. This is going to be a colourful and fascinating army, and by the looks of it, 'reet big' as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, its been a big learning curve for me as well. Looking at 20 units of Garibaldi so this will be a quarter of the way through 👍

      Delete
  2. Another nice unit Ken, the flags are also a bit superbly standout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, faces bases and flags 😁👍

      Delete
  3. Loving this project. Down with rivet counters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, definitely down with rivet counters !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, all the range in downtown Leeds 😁

      Delete
  5. Very nice! The colour combination catches the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous figures again. You make the period so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great Ken. I love the Perrys British intervention range but struggle to find a use for them. Your paint over conversions work the charm. Gotta love the pillbox hats. My cousin had a summer job as a Victorian artillery man at the Halifax Citadel (I believe that he got to fire the noon gun at times) and ended up with a white chin strap line in his suntan due to the Kilmarnock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, I remember looking at this range when it came out and thinking, lovely but how weird are they, I'll never use them 😀

      Delete
  8. Great stuff! Looking forward to next unit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice unusual figures. Your creative solution definitely works! It’s great fun to see this project develop. Keep ‘m coming Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, it's been good improvise with the figures

      Delete
  10. They do look a smart unit. Top brushwork Ken, don't blame you at all missing out on the blanket roll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers Ray, needs must when the Devil drives 🚗

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work, Ken, the combo of white and red really works. Interesting history of that unit.
    Clever use of those Perry figures.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mike, there are quite a few similar units I hope to get done during the course of the Project

      Delete