Wednesday 28 December 2022

From StuartL - Poles Apart - World Cinema - 45 Points

Hello again,

After a refreshing ride in Lady Sarah's Limousine, I have some models lined up to take to the stage at the World Cinema area of the AHPC Studio.

In the specifications for this area, our beloved Snow Lord suggested Samurai as an idea, but also said to paint minis "from elsewhere in the world from where you live now." I am fairly confident that there are a few other ex-pats in the challenge, so I am not paranoid enough to think that this line was directed at me personally (as I live in Japan, Samurai would have been an obvious option), but I am also not, not paranoid enough to believe that it wasn't a possibility.
 
So, I couldn't do anything Japanese, but I similarly didn't want to do anything British as that doesn't really seem very international to me either. So I decided to split the difference and went for something from central Europe, in this case, some WW2 Poles.


These are all metal models from Warlord Games' Bolt Action range. Many years ago my gaming group had a fair number of Bolt Action players. Most, myself included, opted for Late War armies as they were all available in plastic and we were interested in D-Day and the Normandy campaigns. However, one of the group members decided to buck the trend and bought an Early War Polish army, all in metal. He then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it for a few years before eventually returning to his home in the States. Before he left, he passed his army on to me in exchange for some 40K stuff and it has been sitting almost untouched ever since.


These figures painted up very easily and I am happy with how they turned out. I did these as I was working on the Fire Giants in my last post and they made a great distraction when I was feeling burned out from painting those massive brutes. I don't really like cleaning up metal minis, much preferring the freedom that comes from multi-part plastics, but I do appreciate painting metals when they have such nice, crisp detail.



I opted for a lighter shade of uniform than the one suggested by Warlord (the above image is lifted from their store). I wrote down my recipe for these minis back in 2019 and stuck with it as it was super easy to do. A quick search online found examples of Polish uniforms in every shade of green conceivable, so I am guessing that there is no one, definitive colour.

For the scoring, this should be fairly straightforward.
5x 28mm minis @5 points = 25 Points
World Cinema @20 points = 20 Points

Total = 45 Points.

For my side duels, I'm going to claim 1 Squirrel Point for these 5 fellows defending their homeland against the German and Russian invaders.

My Side Duels:

Squirrels - 5
Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Dwarves, Fire Giants, WW2 Polish

Skullz - 0

Turnips - 0

Next up, another ride in the Limo.

____________________________________


Stuart, you think too much - Samurai would have been fine, but these Poles are excellent. :) I especially like that you dug them out of stores from a trade from the distant past. I completely support your decision on painting them as you did. The mass manufacturing of uniforms was not a science at that time (knowing this from working in several archives/museums with uniform collections), and having job-lots that were of a slightly different tone was pretty common across all nations at the time. They look great!

I look forward to seeing your next female figure for Sarah's Limo!

- Curt


15 comments:

  1. I agree with Curt, your color selection looks good and the "correct" color doesn't exist. Looking forward what you provide next and I'm glad I didn't jump into Squirrel race this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like the "right" color. Yours look great to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. The 'right' colour is the one you're happy with I guess.

      Delete
  3. Speaking of a roll! Those Poles look very good, Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'll see how long the roll continues.

      Delete
  4. Excellent. I take the other comments to heart. The color is spot on as there is no true correct color. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great painting - and impressive output - although you're going to have to put the pedal to the metal to catch Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting the correct shade of green is a myth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Polish troops look fab, Stuart! :)

    ReplyDelete