Wednesday 28 December 2022

From Millsy - Star Wars Legion - Studios x 2 (90 points)

G'day All!

What a thrill it is to be back in the Challenge saddle once again. I think this is my 11th event having missed the very first edition and the 2019 edition. Every year I'm as excited as a 7yo kid at Christmas and it's a wonderful thing to be so engaged by something as simple as painting toy soldiers and sharing them.

My first submission in 2022 is a couple of Challenge Studios lots, to help clear a bit of a backlog of Star Wars Legion stuff. There's more SWL toys inbound at Chez Millsy so moving some on early doors is a good thing!

Casting Couch - Cassian Andor and K-2SO

I've thoroughly enjoyed the recent Andor series and love a troubled hero. Seeing the development of the character made his Rogue One incarnation much more meaningful for me. I'm really liking the new darker, grittier Star Wars we're getting now and it's made me a much bigger fan of the milieu than the movies ever did.

More head tilts than a pair of huskies

Scoring: 2 x 32mm infantry + location bonus = 30 points.

1980s - 1.4 FD Laser Cannon and General Veers

The Empire Strikes Back was released in 1980 and remains my favourite of the films, despite the fact Tatooine remains me favourite location. My SWL project focuses on Mos Millsy so everything is being painted up desert-style regardless of origin. Growing up I had the official laser cannon toy that exploded in pieces when a button was pressed so this is a real nostalgia piece for me. Veers is also my favourite bad guy, seemingly unperturbed by the threat of Vader's wrath, calmly going about crushing resistance from his vantage point in the nose of an AT-AT.

OK Dave, was it you that swapped all the LEDs with pink ones?




Love your work Veersy mate!

Scoring: 5 x 32mm infantry + 1 x 32mm laser thingy + location bonus = 45 points.

So that's a tidy 75 points and half the minimum outer Studio locations knocked off.

Cheers,
Millsy


__________________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Millsy!

Fabulous work on Andor and K-2SO. I especially like the dark armour sheen on the droid-buddy. I'm with you, Empire, Rogue One and Andor are my current Star Wars triumvirate. I loved the Rebel infighting in Andor, it has that 1936 Spain feel to it, where the Rebulicans were made up of a wildly disparate range of patriots, all fighting for their own reasons. I'm very much looking forward to the introduction of K-2SO in the series.

I laughed at your Mos Millsy comment. Great work on the cannon, crew and Veers. I loved that laser cannon toy! (though most examples I came across had several bits missing from rough play.) I think it's a good idea to stick to one colour of groundwork, so all your figures mesh together.

I'm going to score these as 40mm as that is what I've seen them listed as.

Great post Millsy!

- Curt 

19 comments:

  1. Good looking Star Wars stuff, Millsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are very nice, tempting me to get into this ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These came out really well Millsy, personally I like the pink LEDs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! The pressue increases to jump into the StarWars wagon althiugh I'm still resisiting hard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Millsy. I too have some SWL on my to do pile but it is intimidating me at the moment. (It's my sons favourite character soni don't want to make a pigs ear of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work on these. I have managed to not go down this path yet. Your work tempts me. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these SWL types Millsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 in 1! Great looking figures Millsy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! For those thinking about jumping in, I have only positive things to say. The rules are great fun, easy to learn but hard to master and the minis are a dream to assemble and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you and your great work again, Millsy! I like the laser thingy very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Millsy - always awesome to see K2S0, the total antithesis to C-3P0 and one of the many reasons "Rogue One" is so, so much better than the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving those Millsy, really nice work on those, yet to get the Star Wars miniature bug, but it can feel myself falling to the dark side…..

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good see you Challenging again this year Millsy - great work on all the Star Warsy stuff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very keen to see Andor myself. Mos Millsy sounds, well, wretched and villainous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the first time those words have been used in reference to my work. Likely not the last either!

      Delete
  15. Love the Android and all the Star Warzy stuff ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job, Millsy! Glad to have you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got me tempted by both Andor and Legion!

    ReplyDelete