Wednesday 28 December 2022

Mike W: 40K Orks & Grechin plus 28mm Normans (115 Points + 2 Squirrels + 2 Skulls!)

With the holidays amongst us, I have struggled as ever to get any dedicated painting time, certainly not enough time to see many of the ongoing batches of figures that I have on the go see any significant progress.

Three Ork Nobs from the completed batch

That said I have been able to snatch the occasional 30mins here and there over the past few days to complete the 40k Ork batch that I started before Xmas, to be totally accurate the batch is 60:40ish Ork & Grechin.

and their rear view

Additionally I have put a stake in the ground with the first small group of Dark Age Norman foot, which I have also completed, with more of these guys and their Anglo-Dane & Viking opponents also lining up to be on my worktop.

and a side view!

The other batches on the go are another group 40K Ork group plus 10 x 28mm Renaissance Spanish Horse, I stating that now to spur me on to getting these done over the coming weekend (I live in hope that I get some time!)

Close-up of Nob, with Rocket attachment 

So Back to today's posting...

The 10 x Orks, painted in pretty much the same way as I described in my first post of this Challenge, particularly as I'm trying to build a consistent look and feel to this army.

Close-up of second Nob, with the skulls!

There are 3 Nob figures in the group  considerably bigger than the regular Orks  their size maybe making up for the smaller Greychin in the group.

Third Nob with giant two handed power axe.

One of the stand out figures in this batch is the guy with the Squig. The squig was painted Vampire Red before being washed with purple ink and then dry-brushed in red. A Soft Tone ink wash was applied and then the red colour was further built up as highlights.

A group of six 40k Orks,
each armed with a 'Shoota' and some kind of axe or sword.
These will be the core figure type in the army.


Close-up of four of the Ork Boyz, with plenty of Dakka

And the remaining two Boyz, 

The head on this figure is a 3rd Party 3D print, I have got a few of these and I particularly like the 'Red Star' motif on the fur cap and the mouth full of teeth! The Red Star fits in nicely with the Red Gobbo theme that I am aiming for with this army. So although this figure is nominally an Ork Bully to keep the Grechin in line, wearing the Red Star cap shows his loyalties have been turned.

Ork 'Herder' with Squig, plus three Gretchin

On to the Grechin, 6 guys painted in the same way as their larger Ork brethren, the only real difference being that once I have completed the green wash on their skin, I then highlight using Foundry Paint's Phlegm Green. This paint is somewhat transparent and to my mind gives these guys an overall lighter look and feel to the Orks.

All six Grechin, in one shot, note the 'Red Star' tee-shirt

Business end of the Squig and Ork 'Herder' figure

These rebellious little Grechin often sport the Red Star symbol of the 'Red Gobbo', be it on armbands, belt buckles, grenades or tee-shirts!

and the Gechin with their tame Herder!

And now for something completely different, as the saying goes - The second group of the post are a few 28mm Norman Foot, adding to the seemingly endless collection of Dark Age warriors that I have been collecting for some years now. Still being readied for a 1066 campaign, which seems to be getting more & more ambitious as time passes!

The first of a number of Norman batches that
I'll be hoping to get completed this challenge

These guys were sprayed silver with rattle can paint from Halfords, non chain mail areas were then painted white before various colours were used to clothe them and to add in flesh areas. Chainmail areas were washed with watered down Dark Tone ink, whilst flesh areas were washed with Sepia ink. Other areas were washed with suitable coloured inks before shield transfers were applied.

Showing off their right flanks, five sword armed,
one with mace and one with axe.

For all the above figures bases were given a fine sand and electrostatic grass finish.

Points wise, from previous challenges I believe that Warhammer Orcs & Goblins all count as 28mm figures - so I have scored accordingly. I'm disappointed to say that these guys had only had 2 Skulls on them, whose both on the same figure! 

and another view

But with 5+ figures in each batch I'm claiming 2 Squirrel Points.

POINTS

16 x Orks & Grechin @ 5 Pts ea      80 Points

7 x 28mm Normans   @ 5 Pts ea      35 Points

TOTAL                                             115 POINTS

2 x Squirrel Points

2 x Skull Points


______________________________

Orks and Normans, what a wonderful clash in settings - love it!

Mike, your Orks are wonderful! I always love looking at the whacky weapons and armour sported by the Greenskins. The poweraxe and Squig Herder have to be my favourites here.

And then there are the Normans! They look suitably nasal-protected and invader-like. I especially like the hand painted shields you've done (cue Peter's habitual comment on hp shields...). ;P They all look ace.

Great work Mike!

- Curt  


17 comments:

  1. Good looking greenskins, some nice variety there. And Normans too, not so green skinned nor varied, but still handsome lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curt you over estimate my prowess with the shields - these look so good as they are transfers, I wish I could paint that well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, I especially like what you did with the Orks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Boyz and the Normans look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Xmas colors from the orks and excellent Normans. Like the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking bunch of greenskins. Your Normans look awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry just woke up. Always love to see hand painted shields and yours are lovely. There I’ve fulfilled my contractual obligations to Curt.

    Orks are great, mine chewed up Curt’s Sisters yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  8. The orks are great, but I particularly like the Normans. Good job, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the brushwork on the Orks and Normans look good too

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking bands of Norman invaders. Hard to distinguish one band from the other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice entry. The Orks look quite Christmas-y, apart from the heavy weaponry that is. Love those Normans and looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work, Mike, but what about the hordes of zombies? It can't be a post from you without one of those, surely? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work as always. Didn't know you were into 40K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sold up my 40K Armies about 15 years ago but the figures are just fun to paint! Have Imperial Guards & now Orks to mess around with...

      Delete
  14. Green iz best.

    The Normans come second :P

    ReplyDelete