Monday 30 January 2017

Star Wars Armada Z-95s and Havoc by JohnSe (7 points)

Despite painting furiously over the last week, I still have lots of figures that aren't quite ready to be posted. I did manage to finish off some more itty bitty spaceships for Star Wars Armada. While meager in points, I'm excited to get these finished ships onto the table.



The Z-95 Headhunter was created for the Star Wars RPG back in the 80's. I believe it incorporates rejected design elements for the film's X-Wings, and while it's undeniably an X-Wing knock off, I've always liked the design. The Z-95 has shown up in a number of games (tabletop, RPG and video) as either a second line Rebel ship or in the service of various planetary defense forces, pirates or other malcontents. With a wide variety of organizations flying them each sporting their own custom paint jobs, there's a wide variety of color schemes to choose from or plenty of room to make up your own. After a cursory search I picked a style that would help distinguish these Z-95s from my Red Squadron X-wings, but wouldn't look too out of place in service to the Rebel Alliance.



The Havoc, a heavier fighter bomber available to the Rebels in Armada belongs to Nym, some sort of tentacle headed alien I'd never heard of. Nym appears in some old Clone Wars era comics and video games, and in the extended Star Wars fiction has apparently stuck around until the Rebellion era.



Being unfamiliar with the ship, and unwilling to do TOO much research, I picked a bright orange and white color scheme that showed up in Nym's Wookipedia entry. It's a tasty little ship on the table, and I'm pretty happy that I can field it in a flashy paint job.

All told, it's a tiny entry of 7 ships but every bit counts towards that point goal, right?

MilesR: Great looking Paint job! and such tiny ships

17 comments:

  1. 7 very well earned points. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying all the Star Wars stuff we are seeing this year. The Havoc reminds me of the Cylon fighters from the original Battle Star Galactica its a bit more boxy but it brings it to mind. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very cool John. You've really brought out the detail on these ships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy the Z-95...it's like the F-5 of the Star Wars universe. You get some of the look and feel of an X-wing, but a bit more of a working class vibe - very nice.

    The work on the Star Wars stuff has been a real overall treat in this Challenge, and this is a prime example. Fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work on these tiny ships. I love when people repaint the Armada and Xwing ships, as the base paint they come with is "OK" but nothing special. These are at least 10x better! great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get so much out of these models, great work on these

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all this Star Wars kit, especially the Armada models (my favourite game of the bunch). I have a hard time keeping abreast of where some of these models originated from in the 'Star Wars canon', so I enjoy reading your backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely little star wars ships and who doesn't like the second line kit?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hammerheads are splendid, but that Havok is wonderful, John! I really like the markings you added, the orange suits it well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You packed a ton of detail into these little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely again, but for the effort I'd say they're worth double that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh, these are lovely! These tiny blobs really make me think about giving Star Wars Armada a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stuff indeed! I was heavily into X-wing some time ago (now put on the backburner again) and have even printed some mini's for it with the 3d printer yet to be painted because I cannot find a nice paintscheme. You succeeded in this brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete