Thursday 21 December 2017

From LeeH : Jingle Bells! (5 Points)

Its Christmaaaassss! Which means the Challenge has started and for a change I'm hitting the ground running with no illness to scupper my opening week plans. My first entry is in keeping with the season (and the monstrous theme) and is just a fun way to kick off my assault on my highest target to date.



This 28mm Wargames Foundry model is full of character but when I first considered painting him I had the distinct impression this Orc Santa was looking at the floor rather than the viewer. I decided to make a slightly built up base for him that elevated the front of the figure slightly and improved the composition of the final model. Building the base and priming the model before the the challenge started saved me a lot of time and meant I could crack on with painting straight away for a quick opening entry. The finishing touch was a layer of crisp snow, care of some Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint, which goes on like a paste but dries rock hard so its quite durable and really looks 'snow like'!



This has been a fun way to kick off my Challenge and has kept me sane while starting on my first batch of 6mm Zulus!

___________________________________________

What an excellent opening entry Lee! I find his delicate, fur-trimmed red gloves contrasted against his huge (and festive) green ork arms hilarious. Your idea of re-positioning the figure so he's looking out, rather than down is an excellent call - it suites the figure so much better, I think. Thank you very much for a bit of Season's Cheer!

Now, back to your Zulus, Lee. I'm counting on seeing a full Impi from you sometime early in the New Year. :)

18 comments:

  1. Great job, santa orc is creepy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start Lee. I agree in he festive green skin and the basing mod. Well done with the snow. I hope he doesn't land on my rooftop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic fig there, Lee, and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work, Lee! That is quite an intimidating bell ringing Santa! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creepy! You’re really starting full throttle aren’t you? Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking Ork santa, odd but good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an awesome mini perfect start

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Orc Santa. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outstanding Lee! I've got him sitting in my leadpile as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is terrific. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking start to the challenge! And a great choice of first subject as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a horrid Santa, got to love him

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Classic entry post Lee, great you're going strong!

    ReplyDelete