Monday 1 January 2018

From BenitoM - Austrian Napoleonic Line Infantry (40 points)

Firstly, a very Happy New Year to all, hope 2018 is a year of health and prosperity to all Challenge participants.

I had a productive New Year Day today and managed to complete a couple of additional bases for my Austrian Napoleonic project. Listening this morning the New Year Concert from Vienna probably helped and inspired my work on these Austrians!

As the previous submission, these forces will form part of the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Regiment Erzherzog Carl Lower Austrian. Only 1 more base (4 models) to paint to conclude the battalion. These are all Victrix 28mm scale models.



Painting white uniforms is definitely hellish, but 60 models after I think I have got it more or less right by now, specially in terms of painting speed. Each model requires several layers of paint to have it completed, which means a lot of time invested in each; and it's difficult to paint several at the same time, you end saving time going one by one or at least this is my experience so far.



After finishing the last company of the battalion I may be attempting painting my first Landwehr unit, a couple of battalions of the Vienna Volunteers, a unit that was actively involved in the 1809 campaigns.

If my maths are right this submission will add 40 points (8 models scale 28mm  x 5 points) to my Challenge score and also increases my scoring of the Black Powder Duel. I have reached  50% of my target by now (500 points) which is not bad considering that my output rate is going to fall substantially once I finish the Christmas break.

______________________________________________________

Happy New Year, Benito - and Feliz año nuevo!

You're continuing the New Year in the awesome style with which you left 2017. Austrians and their chocolate box white uniforms have been the bane and nightmares of many a painters' holidays, but you've made fine work of these Victrix miniatures! They're absolutely terrific - the white looks splendid, and clearly your confidence with the brush is really paying off big time.

Maybe it was the New Year's Day concert which provided the inspiration, but these figures will really look splendid on a tabletop, marching impressively against the French. A well-earned 40 points - and, yes, that is a fantastic total you've amassed in the Challenge so far.  

Really, very well done Sir!

18 comments:

  1. I agree painting white SUCKS, but you have done a great job at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, Benito. You definitely got your eye in with these fellows now. They look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great painting on these buggers! All that white ain‘t easy to pull off, but you‘ve done it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! It seems to me that painting the Austrians is the hardest. I never knew how to work with white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Austrians, they look the business!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely job on the white uniforms Benito :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Benito. That blue is so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff, that white is well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That white is superbly done! Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some excellent footsloggers there, Benito - they positively shine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving these whitecoats Benito! Looking forward to seeing the full battalion.
    Cheers, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh - Austrians! Very well done Benito, they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comments guys. More coming soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work, Benito! The white uniforms do look fantastic, but I also like the blue and green and the highlighting and blending you did there too!

    ReplyDelete