Tuesday 6 March 2018

From SamuliS: Panzerfahrer Klaus (31 points)

Another quick entry for today with the second set of 5 Pz38's. I wasn't planning on doing these guys during the challenge, but as I had a few evenings last week where I couldn't paint due to temporary lack of proper lighting I ended up putting these guys together after all.

Quick paintjobs like on all my other EW Germans. It's kind of nice to finish a unit in only two fairly short evenings. These tanks will give me another 4 tank platoon and then the 2iC to accompany my company commander that I painted last week.





If you are wondering about the title it's my little homage to some amazing German work safety videos, with probably the best known being Staplerfahrer Klaus detailing the mishaps (and perhaps what not to do) of truck driver Klaus during his first day at work. I'd always thought these videos were just comedy sketches made for some show until I went to Germany on an exchange during Uni and on some lab course they actually showed multiple different ones when we were prepped on lab safety. Then again I guess humor works as I don't remember anything about the massively dull videos they showed here in Finland, but I certainly remember all the German ones :)


---------------------

Fantastic work, Samuli - and congratulations on slipping in that entry just on the edge of 'Monday' - which as we all know, ends at 11.59pm Saskatchewan Time. The Pz38s are terrific - just as great as last week's, and they'll be sure to grace any advancing German army on the table.  I really do like the weathering you've applied on the tanks - really brings the unit together (...if I can say that about mud!)

I have to say that having a Panzer unit commanded by Staplerfahrer Klaus is really just the sort of thing I love to introduce into our games of Chain of Command.  He's just the commander I feel can really excel under the pressurised conditions of battlefield friction.  The kind of officer who knows that is is a GREAT idea to park his lead tank just in front of the one bridge on the table which he needs to cross to win the game in order to "carefully check for mines on the bridge".... and then rolls a mechanical breakdown.  Ah yes, been there, done that.

Splendid work, Samuli, and another 32 points towards your collection of German safety videos.

13 comments:

  1. Nice tanks Samuli and thanks for that vid - much better than the ones I've seen here in the UK :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished watching - poor Klaus!

      Delete
    2. And poor collegues :) There are similar videos of electrical work, chemical handling etc. It seems being a worker in Germany is fairly dangerous...

      Delete
    3. Yup, poor colleagues - especially the chap who got sliced at the waist then halved again by the chainsaw :o

      Do you have links for any of the lab safety ones?

      Delete
    4. Elektriker Horst is another classic, though not as over the top https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcD55jDsA0

      Don't really know where some of them could be found as I've really just seen them in class.

      The Swiss have made some animated ones as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qin0qo81xYQ

      Shame that I can't really find some of the more memorable ones. As I'm a foundry engineer there was some with some fairly graphic (but comical) videos showing why molten metal and humans don't mix too well.

      Delete
  2. In my defence I even managed to get it in before midnight Finnish time! ;)

    I have a feeling Staplerfahrer Klaus seems to take command of my Panzers everytime they need to pass some important rolls. Usually ends in a catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full marks for the most original accompaniment to a submission yet!

    Great work on the tanks, and I'm sure Klaus will be an ideal commander for your armoured detachment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Czech tanks, I think Klaus was commanding my nephews Germans last time I played him!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Samuli - however "quick" the paint job is, they sure look excellent. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on those Pz38s, they look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work Samuli! Really like your take on that EW armour. If I‘m to tackle the eastern front in a early war context I‘ll definitely go with 15mm as well.
    Funnily enough I immediately thought about Staplerfahrer Klaus when I read your post title. He‘s a well known quantity for any craftsman over here in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eastern Front definitely benefits from smaller scale. To be honest I'd probably go for 6mm if I were to start now and Flames of War wasn't the chosen system.

      Delete