Monday 4 March 2019

From SamuliS: A Gargantuan Post (30 points)

Back again with a change in topic from one ancient GW game to another! This time into the discontinued territory with additions to my Ork Waaaaaaagh for epic. Previously I've just stuck to hordes of speeding vehicles and infantry mobs when playing my Orks, but as we've been planning to play some "historical" battles from Armageddon I decided that I really need some more Gargants to build a truly big Gargant mob!


All are old GW metals with the rounder versions being the older Gargants and the boxy Gargant and Stompas being the "latest" versions. I'm going to run the Stompas as Supa Stompas for now as the metal ones look distinctively different from the original plastic Stompas that I've otherwise used and actual Supa Stompa models seem to costs about as much as a kidney when looking at ebay prices.





I've been trying to keep my paintjobs fairly simple on all Epic models that I do with just a wash and reapplying the main colours. No highlights and just using some glyphs and checkerboarding to make them pop. Works pretty well and makes these quite nice and fast to paint. And when you are pushing around 100+ different sized Orky vehicles towards the waiting Imperial lines it's the quantity that counts!



I've been adding some infantry and small vehicles on the bases of my titans and gargants to add some life around them. Also helps tie them to the rest of the force. The bases themselves are from Warbases and have a dial on them for hit point tracking to reduce the amount of dice and markers needed on the table.


The Great Gargant already had a drybrush and some panels painted on it before the challenge started so can't claim points for that. The Stompas are somewhat bigger than normal Epic vehicles so I'm marking them as 10mm vehicles for 3 points a piece and the Gargants are about the size of a Flames of War King Tiger so I'm marking them as 15mm vehicles for 8 points a pop. Then the infantry, bikes and buggy on the bases would be 4 more points by my count bringing this gargantuan entry to a whopping 29 points ;)

As an end note, if anyone has some metal Ork vehicles and guns for epic that they want to get rid of I'm always happy to help! Rest assured they will find a good home in an active WAAAAAGH that is constantly going hard at the 'umies.

WAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!! Gargants are the pure distillation of Orky know-how and attitude. I like the slightly subdued colours that help accentuate the chequer patterns, and the extra figures on the base give a sense of scale and lower-case 'c' chaos.

Have a bonus points for the hand-painted patterns to bring this up to 30 points.

Barks

6 comments:

  1. Awesome work Samuli! Love the whacky paintjobs on these Gargants - brilliant stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent big machines. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely gargants, they're great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on some classic figures Samuli. Always great to see people keeping Epic alive and thriving out there!

    ReplyDelete