Sunday 29 December 2019

From PeteF: Heer Heer (23 points)

When I moved out west three years ago and consulted with the local game store about games people play they suggested Bolt Action. I purchased a Blitzkreig German starter army, some British home guard, the rules and Operation Sealion supplement - the alternative history of the invasion of Britain. 

Since then I've managed to paint the home guard (Dad's Army in Challenge VIII), one squad and a gun with crew (primed and started, but not finished during Challenge IX). I didn't find any Bolt Action opponents until very recently so the project has languished. However, I'm planning to finish the rest of the box this winter. 

These six troops represent the sniper teams and command for the unit (which will be 3 ten man squads, a couple of vehicles and support weapons). I'm still trying to get to grips with the desaturated colours and trying to get enough hilighting/contrast. 




The figures are from Warlord Games. I like their WWII plastics as they have some nice poses and lots of equipment options.  Unfortunately their new website redesign means I can't buy in pounds from the US (enabled on the old website) so I'm a bit grumpy with Warlord at the moment. Any suggestions for other companies that do nice BEF and early war germans?




_____________________


Wonderful looking early war Germans, Pete. I really like your attention to detail, especially on the insignia and webbing. As too pricing I suppose Warlord is adjusting so we North Americans can't take too much advantage of the roller-coaster ride of the Pound. Not very sporting, is it? Maybe you'll get a better price after the mythical US/UK trade deal is signed, the one where everyone wins biggly (especially the US). ;)

-Curt

13 comments:

  1. Nice work Pete. For us Canucks it’s normally waaay better to buy from the UK than the US due to shipping costs. The president isn’t the only one who doesn’t understand international trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Pete :)

    Crusader and Artizan might be worth a look for early war figures, and should fit in OK with Warlord. Foundry's Germans are also early war - not sure how good a fit they'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who continually struggles with field grey, I think that these are exceptionally good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking early war Germans, I like black tree design WW2 figures, they seemed to match my warlord plastic Soviets pretty well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I always like me some nicely painted EW Germans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, bolt action is both great and rubbish at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking heer.
    The recent changes to Warlord's store aside, you can't beat their WW2 plastic ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done - and good photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Pete - I'm hoping to do some WW2 material during this edition of the Challenge, so I appreciate the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice indeed, i think you've got the colours just right.

    ReplyDelete