Friday 31 January 2020

From PeteF at Benito's Brook: We Don't Need Another Heero (35 points)



This is the final miniature from the Blitzkrieg Germans starter army box. This box sat on the shelf for a while, a squad got painted, then some stuff was primed for Challenge IX, a gun was painted. For Challenge X I decided it was high time to finish the job.



Early war Germans did not have the panzerfausts that were common later on. The infantry used a modified potato masher grenade as an antitank weapon. They would cut off six charges and strap them to one grenade for seven times the power. I did the same thing on a miniature scale to represent this relatively primitive solution to tank-busting.



I can't imagine what it must have been like to go up against armour - even crappy early war allied armour - with one of these modified grenades. Although I grew up on a diet of jingoistic trash mags that extolled the virtues of the Tommy and didn't have anything good to say about their enemy, with a bit of perspective you can appreciate courage whichever side it comes from.

The whole starter army - finally painted


Now I'm ready for some Bolt Action or Chain of Command. I thought I'd pretty much finished my WW2 stuff but a local guy was selling a bunch and I saw his Facebook ad... now I have late war Americans, Germans and Brits to add to the pile for Challenge XI and beyond.

Paths of history and forgotten complete


30 points for a new area explored plus 5 for the mini for a total of 35, taking me just past my 1,000 point ChallengeX target.





The "Panzerknacker" must have been as scary for the soldiers employing it as for their targets. And you have reached your target - surely that means you will be increasing it in due course...

TamsinP


7 comments:

  1. Jeez Louise, that's a risky bit of kit - when you figure in the Wehrmacht's dependence on methamphetamine to fuel their lightning advances, that figure takes on a whole new level of horror! Top shelf stuff, Pete, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Let's tie seven of these together!" - makes sense to me :)

    Great brushwork - and great to see some planning already for Challenge 11...nicely done Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, and congrats on getting your starter army together. That weapon looks decidedly chancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super looking early war German nutcase!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, I love the small details like the shield on the helmet and the lace on his collar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on this poor b@stard, Pete. I see your resolve is holding hard with your acquisition of three more forces. ;) I look forward to seeing those in a future challenge.

    ReplyDelete