Sunday 6 February 2022

From TamsinP: Yet More 28mm WW2 Japanese (125 points)

The Adventures of Oscar: Time Traveler, Slayer of Squirrels and Very, Very Good Boy

Chapter 6

In which our hero gets bored of his desert playground and goes in hunt of food...

I'm bored, bored, bored now. Playing in this starship wreckage was fun, but I'm hungry and there's no food to be found here. I know where there will be food though, but how do I get back to the jungle? There are so many buttons on Tamsin's device, there must be one which keeps taking me there. Maybe if I try each one in turn? Better leave a message here in case Tamsin and Daddy-Curt try to find me and follow me here. Right, that's done. Now to press buttons...

*press 1* Hmmm, pine forest...

*press 2* Nasty, nasty desert...

*press 3* Ruined buildings...and explosions! Gulp!

*press 4* Futuristic buildings...

*press 5* The jungle! And there's my scent marker! Now, let's follow this path and see of I can find some food somewhere...




Buildings! That means people live here - there must be food! Better search it out...




Ruh-row! More of those unfriendly Japanese soldiers! No chance of finding food now! Better scarper...again!



OK, which button to press to get me out of here? I think the third one has the best chance of food that I might like - explosions be damned!

*press 3*


Yes, more WW2 Japanese. This time the third rifle squad for the core platoon and some more supports.


Rifle Squad


Go-cho (Corporal) and LMG Team



Rifle Team




Snipers


Why six snipers? Mistakes were made. I did order a pack of four from The Assault Group, even though I won't need that many. Then Warlord Games accidentally sent me a snipers and flamethrowers pack by mistake instead of the FOO team I'd ordered and told me to keep them.



MMG Team



With foliage added:



That just leaves the grenade discharger squad to complete the core platoon, plus a few more supports.


<<<<INTERMISSION>>>>


Extract from the Journal of TamsinP: Time Traveler, Society Girl and Adventuress

Well, so the modified device is going to need to be vehicle mounted? I ponder the practicalities for a few minutes and come to a few conclusions:

  • It's untested and may not work, therefore...
  • I need to get Dave to make one of my basic time travel devices as a backup...
  • No point vehicle mounting the modified device here...
  • Dave will have to ship it out to Canada when it's ready...

OK, so who to ask about vehicle mounting it? I reckon Byron would be the best bet, but it's too early to call him. I'll just potter for a few hours and work out what equipment and supplies we might need to take.

<<<<..........>>>>

It's evening now in the UK, so it should be early afternoon over in Canada. I queue up the request for a video chat.

"Hey, Tamsin! What's up?"

"Well, you know that Oscar's gone missing?"

"Yeah, I heard that nutty mutt had gone off with your time travel device."

"Well, Curt has asked me to get him back."

"Yeahhhh, that sounds like Curt, passing the problem onto someone else to sort out. I hope you've got him doing at least something to help out?"

"Oh, yes, indeed! After rescuing him from Challenge Island on my own that time, I've learnt my lesson. I'll be dragging him along when we go after Oscar, and he's on the hook to Miles for a "Consultation fee"."

"Puppies and kittens?"

"You know Miles so well!" I laugh.

"Right, so what can I do for you?"

"Well Dave is working on a modified device with time-tracing, but he says it will need to be vehicle mounted. Would you be able to sort out a vehicle at your end and then mount the device if I get Dave to ship it out to you?"

"Sure, sure. I'll just take a look on the local second hand vehicle pages for something suitable."

A few minutes of silence pass...

"Are you still there, Byron?"

"Yes, and I think I've found the perfect vehicle for a pair of anarcho-leftist-hippy-mystic ravers like you and Curt."

I ignore the (rather too accurate) description. "Really, what is it?"

"You remember that KLF vehicle? There's one on here that's quite similar."

"OK, snap it up and send the bill to Curt!"

"Will do!"

"Thanks and toodle-pip!"

I end the video chat and recline in my chair. The KLF vehicle? Ford Timelord? Even if the device does to vehicles what it did to clothes, how cool would it be to start the rescue mission driving off in a 1968 Ford Galaxie police car, sirens blaring and light's blazing?


An image of Ford Timelord





For Scoring

24 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 120 points

There's also the MMG itself. Although it is a crew-served weapon I think it would be better scored as a 28mm foot figure.

Total claim - 125 points


The figures are a mix of Eureka, Warlord Games and The Assault Group.


_____________________________

Haha! Wonderful work as usual, Tamsin. It's always a joy to see what Oscar is up to AND to see what's been occupying your time this past week as well. Your Japanese troops look excellent and I particularly like the socketed in terrain bits - nice bit of modelling, that. I had to laugh at your description of us as 'anarcho-leftist-hippy-mystic ravers'. It's actually pretty spot on. :) 

Well done Tamsin!

- Curt


33 comments:

  1. Cracking .
    That’s a lot of snipers! Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is rather a lot of those blighters! :)

      Delete
  2. More fabulous looking Japanese. Very well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Japanese and a very good story, Tamsin! I am already looking forward to the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It may just be "The Adventures of Oscar" next week. :)

      Delete
  4. @ Curt - I did ask Byron if he was happy for me to have him call us that; he said he thought the description went without saying, but why not call you a hipster as well? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Byron would know. :) I thought your description was running hauntingly true to form. :)

      Delete
  5. Wacky story and great figures Tamsin! Love the basing and the jungle foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The basing is simply mixed dried herbs "fixed" and stained with a thinned mix of paint and glue. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Tamsin:
    Clever and funny as always. Ironically, this week my eliptical watching was Heaven Knows Mr Allison, and the scene where Robert Mitchum as the stranded US Marine steals food from a Japanese supply hut came to mind as I read this. Oscar and Mitchum would make a good team. Your Japanese look better than the four Japanese they found living in Brazil and employed as actors!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that film. One of Mitchum's best unsung roles.

      Delete
    2. I always look forward to the next Chapter of Oscar’s Great Adventure! I quite like the figure with the 😮 expression. It’s almost as if he’s going, “holy crap did I just see a dog appear?!”

      Delete
    3. @ Mike - cheers, Padre! Good call on Oscar and Mitchum teaming up! :)

      @ Natasha - I'm enjoying writing his adventures. I think we should all be glad that he hasn't (so far as I can tell) altered the timeline, but there are several weeks to go before his rescue! :)
      I scrolled through the photos and found two of them making that face. I reckon you're right about what they're thinking! :)

      Delete
  7. Genius work, and the painting is quite good too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Japanese troops Tamsin. The dark colours of the jungle bases contrast nicely with the brighter uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid looking Japanese riflemen and snipers, whoever many there are!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your crushing it on the Japanese Tamsin!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing work Tamsin! And love your background stories on the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so good Tamsin. I love the infantry, but in particular, the basing on that jungle-floor look of the bases is top-notch. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anarcho-leftist-hippy-mystic ravers driving a police car through time and space, I can hardly wait! Lovely Japanese, waiting the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, wait you must! The rescue mission will be a few posts over the last few days of the Challenge! :)

      Delete