Friday 3 February 2023

From TamsinP: In Darkness We Are Born [Fantasy] (35 points)

 


Having finished up post-production in the "Swords & Sandals" studio, I find my path leads me into the realms of the "Fantasy" studio, where I am confronted with three actors done up with purple skin and pointy ears. The production assistant informs me that they are "Drow" or "Dark Elves" and hands me a book - the 4th Edition Advanced D&D Monster Manual. A post-it tag leads me to the relevant entry:

Drow: The "Black Elves", or drow, are only legend. They purportedly dwell deep beneath the surface in a strange subterranean realm. The drow are said to be as dark as faeries are bright and as evil as the latter are good. Tales picture them as weak fighters but strong magic-users.





These are early 1980s pre-slotta figures from Citadel, that had sat unpainted in my collection since I'd bought them. 

With these figures, I can tick off my 7th studio, and my 3rd in the Blue pass zone - next stop, Arthouse.


For Scoring

3 x 25mm foot @ 5 = 15 points

1 x studio @ 20 = 20 points

Total = 35 points


Friday Minion: Oh I love how the Drow are so rarely seen, they are but legend, but of course because they're the coolest elves, they appear in nigh on every D&D campaign as a player character. Predictable, really. 

Nice vintage Citadel minis here Tamsin, I like the purple/red/black/gold colour scheme, very haughty and regal. And an understated approach to basing, is this for a particular setting, or inspired by Mr Roundwood?







33 comments:

  1. Great choice of skin tone! They really do look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't sure what skin tone to go for, so I did a quick Google Image search and purple came up quite a bit. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, classic figures here Tamsin. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those really are very nice Tamsin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darl Elves? Are those of the Amazon series? Looking to open another social media fight? XD Great work Tamsin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not looking to pick any fights at all! :)

      Delete
  5. Great to see the Drow getting some love. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! You don't see them that often. :)

      Delete
  6. Freaking cool arse models and great painting here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done, Tamsin! I like the colors you chose for the dark elves and the smooth transitions of the reds and purples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Those transitions took a fair bit of work! :)

      Delete
  8. Fantastic looking Drow, Tamsin. The colours really complement each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great old school minis, and done up so well under your talented brush, Tamsin! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It's nice to have finally got some paint on them - teenage me would be astounded by the quality of painting! :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice work! Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work, Tamsin! It seems that whatever you paint you’ll get the skin tone just right. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh hoho. Take me back to the days of D&D and AD&D. Love me some adventures with the drow. These are great. The purple shades are wonderful. Thanks for the tour down memory lane. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never actually played any adventures involving Drow back when I was D&Ding, but liked the figures! :)

      Delete
  13. Beautiful skin tones and nice colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Phil - thanks! I went for a fairly non-specific basing scheme for them as a deliberate choice. :)

    ReplyDelete