Wednesday 29 March 2023

From Sarah and Curt: Our Challenge XIII Wrap-Up!

 Challenge XIII done and in the books! WooHoo!! 

As much as I love the hectic flurry of the Challenge, I have to say one of my favourite aspects of the event is the exhausted aftermath, when we get to see each other's collective work and read opinions of how things unfolded after three months of hobbying like mad. 

Sarah and I, in the hobby studio, presiding over our Challenge largess . (Sarah looks quite smug, doesn't she?)

From Sarah:


Hey Everybody

What a terrific show from all of this year’s participants! Well done everybody!

As a new painter, I appreciated all the comments on my modest posts, but I truly appreciated all the tips and knowledge of the hobby from all of the participants. Thank you.

Thanks to my minion Miles (extra points are sweet!) and the rest of the Wednesday Crew. It was a pleasure to be in such excellent company.

This years Challenge was a challenge for me - I was disorganized and had no action plan and perhaps this is sacrilegious… but I had no figures to paint. I am very much a butterfly and only painted what struck my fancy.

Having access to a 3D printer, one would think make finding figures would be easy… but I found that I was paralyzed with all the options in front of me, and subsequently only had 6 miniatures to paint. And only one was a figure!

A cacophony of colour!

Next year, I hope to have a plan, pay attention to the map and meet my target!

Have a fabulous spring/summer and I’ll meet you here in December. ❤️

- Sarah

_______________________________________________

From Curt:

Lovely work Lady Sarah! I've always admired your use of vibrant colours. 

Now, from the sublime to the ridiculous. 

For just getting lots done, this was probably my best Challenge to-date. I managed to keep reasonably on-task with my primary goal of getting two baseline forces done up for Turnip28. Hooray!

I'm just two rooty units shy of my quest, but still, I'm happy with they turned out (and have to smile at the heads that were scratched by this wonderfully odd setting). 

I also had good fun working on a few cars for 'Mad Maximillian'. 

Again, I came up a little short for a race-ready roster, but hey, I'm definitely closer along than I was in November. Maybe this summer I'll get a few more jalopies finished to allow a proper dust up.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Challenge without a few distractions along the way, right? I enjoyed working on a film crew for 'Top Billing', some fantasy figures for 'Mork Borg', a command stand depicting Jean de Vallette at the Siege of Malta, and a smattering of avant-garde looking Kushites for, um, no reason in particular, just 'cause they looked badass.




I'm glad I managed to get most of my Turnip stuff done early, because the later half of the Challenge saw me down a rabbit hole, working on 10mm fantasy from Warhammer's 'Old World'. 

This was brought on by me coming across several old storage boxes of unopened Warmaster figures that, you know, just HAD to get painted. The origins of this veritable Eldorado of lead entailed a friend who was a GW store manager, who did some, um, creative accounting during an inventory purge - yes, the less said the better... Anyway, I have enough 10mm fantasy stuff for another Challenge or two.


All in all it was a very productive winter for me. Nevertheless, the best aspect of the Challenge was the opportunity to get together with old friends, make some new ones, and enjoy this funny little hobby of ours. Thank you all for making it happen.

__________________________________

I'd like all our participants to email me their top three nominations for Challengers' Choice. On April 2nd I'll provide a voting poll listing all the nominations. The announcement of the Challengers' Choice winner, along with the SnowLord's Choice and Sarah's Choice will be on April 9th.

I look forward to catching up with you then!

Warm Regards,

- Curt


53 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting such a great and comprehensive wrap up as it was delIghtful to see the variety and quality of output you produced. Those Kushites and Lady Sarah’s piper stand out for me! And many thanks again for all your efforts in putting this production together 🎥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! I really liked Sarah's work on her piper as well. I need to get her more set up with minis prior to next Challenge so she has more choice for her muse. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Simon! I’m on the look out for more Lady Piper figures!

      Delete
  2. Lady Sarah’s car was epic. As for your diversion to 10mm fantasy that was great to see . Until next year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave! I really enjoyed the 10mm fantasy stuff. I loved Sarah's car as well and have printed off a larger version for Mad Maximillian 1934. Hopefully I can get to that in the next few months.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dave, the car was my first attempt with an airbrush .. so fun!

      Delete
  3. Great challenge from the 2 of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work from both of you two, and thank you for organizing the Challenge again for us this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dallas! The Challenge is one of the few things we keenly look forward to in the winter. :)

      Delete
    2. Another great Challenge, thank you too!

      Delete
  5. Excellent work from both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on an excellent challenge. I especially liked Sarah's fluorescent limo and Curts Warhamster entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! I always enjoy Sarah's colour choices as she experiments with combinations that I'd never normally think of.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peter, I’m super happy the limo turned out so well ..the airbrush was everything!

      Delete
  7. Good stuff Curt and Sarah! Do you think increased hobby output is related to decreased admin work? ;) Now you just need to get Sarah properly prepared for the next Challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No really, my decreased admin work has definitely allowed me to enjoy the Challenge more as a participant. Thank you to all our minions for that. And yes, I have to make sure she's stocked for minis for next December.

      Delete
    2. Haha, Soon I’ll need to expropriate some of Curt’s hobby space

      Delete
  8. Thank you for an excellent Challenge. I don't know how you transformed a basically solitary activity (applying colors on miniatures) into an international paint party, but you did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvain. I'm very proud of the community we've built around the Challenge - it's such a big part of my hobby life.

      Delete
  9. You both did sterling jobs! Sarah, I loved the quality of your work, especially that bike-thingy. And Curt, once again you have amazed me with the quality of your painting and your creativity. The turnip stuff was really nice, but of course I was completely swept away by that fantastic Empire army. Thanks for another awesome Challenge. The beard looks very impressive, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn! I'm delighted that you enjoyed both our efforts. I loved working on the Turnip project, but I was surprisingly swept away with the Warmaster stuff. 10mm is such a fun scale to work in.

      Delete
    2. ...and thanks on the beard. Sarah says I look very Old Testament with it. :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Martin
      Thanks for the nice comments ❤️

      Delete
  10. Well done both of you, nice to see so many wonderful entries , love your Warmaster stuff Curt and am amazed by whatcomes off your 3D printer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry! It was a fun Challenge, for sure.

      Delete
  11. Great to see you in such a good shape. Your Turnip project has been one of the most outstanding features of this year's Challenge and will rank high in the incoming votes. Thank you so much once again for organising year after year this gathering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benito, you're very kind. I'm delighted you enjoyed the (rather odd) Turnip work.

      Delete
  12. Fab work from the both of you!

    Curt - your rooty produce is my run away favourite, though the warmaster is a bit special too. Congrats on your award of the Golden Turnip!

    Sarah - love the vibrant colours and I completely understand the 'analysis paralysis' that comes from the wonderful array of 3d printing options!

    See you next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! It was wonderful to have you as a worthy duellist for the Turnip challenge (I loved your huge battle crab especially). Until next year!

      Delete
    2. I think this Challenge is the therapy program for overcoming ‘Analysis Paralysis’ ".. :)

      Delete
  13. Well done both of you, and thanks as always for hosting!

    Sarah - "I was disorganized and had no action plan and perhaps this is sacrilegious… but I had no figures to paint. I am very much a butterfly and only painted what struck my fancy." FWIW, this is exactly my version of Challenge heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! You're right, I think many of us love to be swept away by of-the-moment impulses during the Challenge - I certainly enjoy it!

      Delete
  14. Lady Sarah, mad cap butterfly chasing is a prerequisite of miniature painting( can't understand those folk who follow plans) I love those houses you painted as the colors match the whimsical structures.
    Snow Lord, as always I throughly enjoyed all of your submissions including the weird rutabaga troops...the standouts are the early race car death-race machines. I love antique cars especially the custom racers that tore through muddy landscapes.... pavement wasn't even a thing! Then machine guns!? I want them all! ...and the colors on them are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’ll see some more houses next Challenge 😊

      Delete
    2. Thank you David! I very much appreciated all your thoughtful comments - it was very encouraging.

      Delete
  15. An impressive haul from both of you this year. Well done and thank you to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. An impressive haul from both of you this year. Well done and thank you to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Lady Sarah: having a 3d printer around makes for more stress in choosing because the choices are limitless, if that makes sense. However your figures are all well chosen and very well painted indeed. Can't wait to see what you will paint next.

    @ Curt: well you've done a great job for sure this year. I must say I am firmly with DaveD regarding the Turnip stuff (but then again I also detest Nurgle stuff), but have to bow down in deep admiration as to your talent to let the figures shine. Is your beard for more white than I remember? Have gone from Curt the Grey to Curt the White during this Challenge? Anyway thanks you guys for organising this Challenge yet again!

    Sander and Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander and Arthur! Yes, I may have 'gone up a level' in my beard colour, though I don't have the spells to match. ;P

      Delete
  18. Well done, SnowPeople, and thanks for running this every year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic work Curt and Sarah,

    The turnips invasion of winter is now over, no need for the root vegetables now spring is in the air and the promise of the fruit loop season is just around the corner!

    All the best, thanks again for running a great show again ( or is it Rodeo)

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Circus' is probably the best term for it. :)

      Thanks for participating and providing such supportive comments - it means a lot.

      Delete
  20. Very impressive output this season , quality and quantity Curt and I'm probably as organised as you Sarah and I've done it a few times!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done to both of you. Thanks for running the squirrel rustling operation.

    ReplyDelete