Tuesday 30 January 2024

From PeterD Scots-Irish Slingers in 28mm (30 points)

A small post from me this week.  I was out of town at a actuarial exam meeting in Charlotte NC this weekend and I'm still struggling to keep up on my extra teaching load.




This is a unit of 6 Irish slingers for my Late Roman Britain project, based for To The Strongest.  I did some kit bashing using plastics here.  The torsos and heads are all from the Gripping Beast Irish set and the arms come from the Victrix Late Roman Archers and Slingers set.  The two kits mesh reasonably well and I was able to get a good mix of loading and firing figures.  As noted in my last post, the Victrix pack has more archers than slingers and many of the sling options are staff slings, which is a higher level of tech than would be seen in 4th Century Ireland.



Slingers are the only long range missile troops available to the Scots-Irish in TTS. They would typically be the fellows who lacked the minimum equipment (shield and spear) to form up in the war band.  Often they would be beardless yutes, as Cousin Vinnie would say. However, I prefer the GB heads with beards to the clean shaven heads.  I painted them in basic tunics with no decorations.  I left room for a lable, but I am overthinking tribal names for my Scots-Irish and haven't decided which ones to use.




Like the tunics, this is a basic minimalist post.  Six 28mm foot figures for 30 points and no room bonus.

 

The British from Wales, the Scots from Ireland, the Picts from Scotland and the Irish from, well, dunno, Ireland?  always bewilder me. Like the Asterix and the Germans, where our heroes are completely dumbfounded by the multitude of different Germans coming from all directions. However, there is nothing dumbfounding about these very useful slingers, Peter. Simple, yes, but effective, a fine job and some good kit bashing too. 30 points for you added to the spreadsheet ;-)


32 comments:

  1. Good looking slingers, Peter! During hectic times it is good to be able to block some time for himself and dear hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, exactly on booking time. My wife has book club tonight so...

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much Martijn. The does get confusing on the inhabitants of the British Isles. It was different in the fourth century. The “English” were still across the a North Sea, the “Welsh” lived all over the south and the Scots and Irish were one and the same.

    Of course the English refer to the Dutch and Holland to refer to all of the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not talk about all the different types of French people. I will just say that those minis look great and there seems to be lots of red-haired slingers. They are probably cousins...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvain, I will also spare you an Anglo-centric opinion of the different types of French! I did overdo the gingers in this group, but they were organized on a clan basis.

      Delete
  4. Never underestimate the power of a well thrown sling stone! Interesting basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It's simple and effective weapon. Useful when fighting biblical giants too.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, they meshed fairly well for my purposes.

      Delete
  6. Great looking whipper-snappers, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking slingers, I will paint some dark age British , I will paint some dark age British!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. a great bit of kit bashing Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. Pretty simple but it worked.

      Delete
  9. Looks great Peter. Hope the exam went well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that dun tunic colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. I wanted to keep the colours drab.

      Delete
  11. wonderful looking slingers, I've had more than a game or two where the slingers were pivotal to the win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It pays to respect the humble skirmishers.

      Delete
  12. I do like these slingers and the basing is really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got to love you some slingers -- and the basing really evokes the scrubby moorland of Ireland or Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I figured they should be in some rougher terrain.

      Delete