Saturday 10 February 2024

From PaulSS: More Confederate Generals and Bushwackers - 80pts

 

A much more productive time this week with a trio of bases of generals for my Confederate troops and the rest of the Bushwackers finished.

The first command stand features General Robert E. Lee in conversation with Major-General Henry Heth.


I probably mounted Heth a little too far back on the base and Lee a little too far forwards. It looks like Heth is talking to Lee but avoiding eye contact, maybe some difficult questions about "Why sir, are we on this field at all?"


Lee's horse is my first attempt at a dappled grey, I think I need a bit more practice.


The next base features Lt.-General James Longstreet and Major-General J.E.B. Stuart already aware of Lee's ire at Heth, Stuart likely seeks out Longstreet.


If you saw the earlier post you'll note that the Longstreet model is actually the Hood model from the pack, I think it's a good fit anyways.


All the models of the generals in this post are from the two Perry Miniatures packs; ACW46 Confederate mounted Commanders and ACW47 Confederate mounted Commanders 


The final command stand this time features Major-General George E. Pickett


This stand is finished off with a couple of infantrymen left over from the Virginia firing line that I did a few weeks ago. The figures are from the ACW39 Confederate Infantry command standing pack.


The standard is from GMB Designs. I noticed when preparing the photos that it's gone a little chalky, so before putting the figures away for a future battle I've given it a coat of gloss varnish to hopefully sort that out. 


I grabbed the Hood stand from my previous post to show six generals, and attendants together.


The last four Bushwackers were also completed and based up. 


These four are from the Crusader Miniatures ACW051 - Bushwhackers pack and are very characterful models.


These bases will serve as skirmisher stands for our Picketts Charge games, and on that subject I played my first wargame of 2024, travelling down to Galena - where General Grants house is - to play a Peach Orchard scenario with the guys. Lets just say my Union forces came second!


Here is a parting shot of the Bushwackers with the rest of the figures done last week.


Next week I plan to be back to painting Union troops for the collection.

This week, five 28mm mounted plus six 28mm foot should add 80 points to my total. 

"Virgil, quick come see, there goes Robert E. Lee!" as the song went, that was one of the Snowlord's favourites that we used to listen to in his gaming room. More really lovely models here Paul, as I've said before I really like the style you've used to paint these. Just really crisp and clean. Eighty big points for you!

Dallas 

29 comments:

  1. Fabulous work on these Confederate commanders, Paul. I've always held a soft-spot for the quiet dignity and restraint of Lee. Beautiful brushwork. Dallas, you have a good memory - that is a great tune indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some wonderful command vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking rebels Paul, love those command bases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done. I think you nailed the mix of greys and butternuts on these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work Paul. Wonderful painting and scenic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great command stands; the models are posed perfectly- easy to imagine the conversations they are having.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look like they walked right out of the scenes of "Gods and Generals or Gettysburg!" awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. man that is some wonderful paintwork Paul, the colors are lovely crips and clean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work. Love the scenery and backdrop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those command stands, looking great

    ReplyDelete