Monday 19 January 2015

From BrianB - Dagon and Deep Ones (25 points)


These are the rest of the Khurasan Deep Ones to go with the three that I submitted earlier in the Challenge. There were actually nine more as the it was a pack of twelve not the ten that I had convinced myself. I painted them up pretty much the same as the first with some changes in the green to give them some variety.


To go along with them I also painted up a 28mm Reaper Bones Tiik Champion figure to use as a giant monster fish-man or as a stand in for Dagon, the Deep Ones deity in many of the Mythos stories. Part of the reason I decided to use 15mm figures for my Cthulhu/ VSF collection is that it allows me to use 28mm scaled figures as giant monsters. I thought this Reaper figure would look great with them with his armored head and body reminiscent of a Dunkleosteus.


Since most of my giant monsters are influenced by my misspent youth endlessly re-watching Godzilla movies I tend to paint them to match. In this case I kept close to the colors of the rest of the Deep Ones with the addition of some contrast from the armor plates. I also tried to add some watery glistening across parts of their bases with some gloss varnish , although I'm not sure how well it comes across in the photos.



Cthulhu Fhtagn!


From Curt

Oh wow, these are great! I like your approach of using 15mm as a base scale and going with 28mm for the beasties. Trouble is there is sooo much stuff out in 28mm that I don't think I could keep my resolve to a smaller scale - I tip my hat to you!

That Father Dagon is just brilliant. I love the way you've painted him, especially with the purple and yellow accents. I have to pick one of those up for my collection.

Finally, I like how you photographed this entry. The town setting definitely has that 'Innsmouth Look'. :)

Ok, nine 15mm figures is 18 points, and I'll put Father Dagon at 7 points, who looks to be around 40mm, so 25 points total.

Wonderful work!


21 comments:

  1. Very, very original - the idea of mixing 15 and 28mm is pure genious in its simplicity, it totally works! Congrats on the great paintwork and setting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just lost SAN points - well done!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man these are god, the fish eye of the big beastie is spot on, really really like these

    ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done, I don't know that I've ever seen nicer deep ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent stuff.. and clever idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very strange and very well painted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to echo...nifty idea of using 28's for monstrous monsters! The purple and green work really well with the bulby yellow eyes too. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "That slithering sound is outside my window again. I must stay strong as I write what I suspect will be my last entry in this journal.

    *tinkle*

    Dear God! They are in! My friends I must tell y..."


    Great work Brian :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cool! I have to break out Eldritch Horror every time I see figures like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! I've been trying to shift to 15 mm for skirmish gaming as I have some space restrictions. Still doesn't stop me from picking up 28s for painting tho, lol. And thanks to Curt for correcting my math, not my strongest subject.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very, very nice. Great painting and interesting figures. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work! Some wonderfully different minis from what you mostly see here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm Impressed. Lovely colours and brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always a sucker for Mythos. Another fine job. I agree the photo setting is quite nice. I'm trying, and somewhat failing, to do something similar in 1/72.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are fantastic; a very good painting scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely outstanding! I've had similar thoughts regarding 15mm with 28mm "giants" for monsters and such.

    I wonder if hitting the figures with a bit of semi-gloss varnish would add a certain slimy/wet quality to their flesh, or would it be too distracting?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, these are awesome! Apart from the fact I love the subject matter I really like your approach to painting them. The purple highlight really works!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love em these are fantastic. Have been listening to some Lovecraft audio while painting, these are just the thing.

    ReplyDelete