Friday 5 February 2016

From John M: AB Napoleonic Artillery (148 points)

Here is my second 18mm AB Napoleonics submission to this year's challenge. I am hoping to do another 2 batteries of artillery before the end of the contest.

First, I have to say that I am happy that Curt has decided to treat AB Napoleonics as a 20mm submission as I find these quite a lot of work to paint. There may have a little less detail to paint than 28mm figures but where they are smaller, I am finding it takes me quite a bit longer to paint them.

Second, I am very happy that I have decided to get someone else to paint this new army for me. The two services I am using do a great job and are relatively quick painters, I should have my French and Anglo-Portuguese forces on hand by the end of March. I am quite pleased with this as I think I would be dead by the time that it would take me to paint these little buggers.

Overall though I am quite pleased on how they have come out and it makes quite a change from painting WWII figures which are a little less interesting to paint for sure.

Anyway here they are. One battery of Artillerie à pied Français and 1 battery of Royal Foot Artillery with a mounted officer. I have another French and British battery on the painting table and I will probably add 3 more French batteries and 2 more British batteries to my army. I am also planning a Spanish brigade which will have 1 battery. I believe that will balance things out.





Time to get to work on those Japanese...

Lovely work John! Yes, there is something magical about AB sculpts that seems to transcend scale - such well-done work, so pleasing to the eye, and your brush work here does them justice.  I am particularly impressed when anyone manages to paint artillery in any era - it's something I have a big hang up on myself, and not for any rational or logical reason.  Finishing artillery batteries from two separate nations is a worthy achievement! Great work, and 148 points for you!

20 comments:

  1. Excellent ... I am so tempted to get back in this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job, I particularly like the RHA Troop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fine work John, excellent work on the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, having recently painted up some AB ADC's I can fully appreciate your views

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work John. I really should get back to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look really sharp! I really like the metal of the cannon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some wonderfully crisp brushwork John, you've shown off the sculpts nicely.
    As someone who's desperately trying to avoid starting up Napoleonics you're making it much harder.
    Is this basing for FOGN?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the basing is pretty generic. I have been recently play testing the CoC variant for Napoleonics, it is a great ruleset. The only unusual basing for it is the tiralleurs a grand bande.

      Delete
  8. nice detailed figures and a great paintwork on them, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff! I'd dearly like to see those artillery stands next to some Revell, HäT or Zvezda plastics as a scale reference...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I have none of those figures to compare them.

      Delete
  10. That is some lovely artillery John! I'm very curious to try the CoC Napoleonic variant someday. Maybe in Montreal sometime? :)

    ReplyDelete