Monday 29 January 2018

From BenitoM: Vienna Volunteers Swelling Ranks (40 points)

Men continued flocking to signup to the Vienna Volunteers Regiment this week and the first battalion is now ready to march to the front to fight the Ogre Napoleon. The last company was painted...


... and now the first battalion is ready to depart to the front to fight the Ogre Napoleon.



In the meantime the first cadre of men for the second battalion is starting to take shape


According the sources I have found, while the first battalion had a distinctive uniform (dark grey coat, white breeches, and a hat white lining) the remaining three battalions dressed with the standard militia of Lower Austria uniforms, in a lighter grey tone and with the white strapping of the line infantry.



As in previous weeks, these are 28mm scale Victrix Austrian infantry models with Perry Austrian heads.  A total of 8 models x 5 points = 40 points.

If I'm not wrong I'll be now just above the 500 points target I put to myself! This is great, the first time in three years that I've each the threshold. I must now reassess my Challenge target upgrading to 700 points mark. This is out of my comfort zone but still at reach with all the models pending paint on my table right now.

A final comment. I'm sharing with you a new tip provided by one of my club friends to speed up the painting of heads and hands: a Citadel shade called "Reikland Fleshshade".

Use Vallejo flat flesh straight out of the bottle, wait for drying and apply the shade. After drying you can highlight nose, eyebrows and chin with flesh again and the lips with red brown. There you have reasonably well painted model to put on the table, saving a lot of time.

Note that I neither paint in detail eyes or other face features; I just want my models to look right on the table at a distance and forming in mass formations. This method is good for that purpose and saves a significant amount of time.

_________________________________________

With the punctuality of an Austrian train timetable (...which I imagine is very punctual indeed...), you have again, Benito, treated us to another wonderful submission of Viennese Volunteers.  Their ranks are indeed swelling very impressively and will look fantastic on the tabletop.

I particularly like the mix of uniforms in the regiment, with the dark grey coat of the first battalion contrasting very well with the light grey of the other battalions.  Finding out details like this, from your research, is a great way to make a unit really exceptional.

And thank you very much for the painting tip.  I greatly enjoy hearing these, as I'm sure everyone does.  It's the small insights like this which can really enhance the painting experience for all of us Brush Pilots!  Thanks again!

And HUGE congratulations on reaching your target - one of three Monday Challengers (with Narval and Kyle) doing so this week. 

For a gentleman with a very busy family, professional and social life, this is very deeply impressive and something we can all celebrate!  HURRAH and WELL DONE, Sir!


12 comments:

  1. I like your Austrians a lot, Benito, very nice work indeed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this project Benito - nice to see the variances between battalions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Benito, and congrats on reaching your points target. I hope you keep the momentum going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done that man, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're just cracking along with this project Benito! Lovely work on these reinforcements. I use a similar process with my flesh but will give this recipe a try as well. And finally, congratulations on hitting your target so early in the Challenge. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More lovely Austrians! Well done on hitting your target too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how these are coming along. Huge props for plowing through Naps as they are not an easy army ( for me ) to paint up! And these are looking quite lovely indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They’re coming along nicely it seems! Very well done on that latest batch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments to all. I'm really enjoying this Austrian Army painting project. Just ordered today my first cavalry units (Uhlans) to the Perrys and I hope to at least paint one squadron before the Challenge winds out this year

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beaut of an Austrian battalion, Benito! I do love your Napoleonics quite a bit! Congrats on hitting your target and I look forward to seeing your Austrain Cav shortly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. I use Vallejo Flesh Wash, it gives impressive results as well.

    ReplyDelete