Saturday 3 February 2018

From KeithS: A Mishmash Medley (262 points)

Well, unfortunately I got distracted by real life and failed to post last weekend.  Good news, though, is that means more stuff this weekend!  I'm not kidding when I say mishmash - I got all kinds of stuff this time around as I work through the old lead I have, and the continual stream I keep buying on eBay and at cons.  My wife thinks I have a problem and she is probably right, as usual.

First up, though is the completion of my 28mm Irish warband for Saga.  There are 13 of these chaps, 12 warriors and their boss.  As with previous figures, these are all from Gripping Beast.



One of the four-man groups has great axes.  It's nice to have a few guys with unusual weapons.
 Some of the chaps from behind.  The boss has the red cloak and seems to be pointing with his sword (always easy to find a boss figure - they're usually pointers!).  I gave them a bit fancier attire than the rank and file but, being Dark Age Irish, nothing too fancy.  I also used more greens than usual because, you know, Irish.

And the lads form another angle.  That's it for the Irish and my Saga painting this year!

My next batch was a group of 24 Viking types, mainly from Grenadier (I think?).  Anyway, I based this lot for use with D&D, so they get dungeon bases.  You never know when a player will sound a Horn of Valhalla and get a horde of Vikings to appear!

I liked the horn figure.  But I really liked the guy to the right. He appeared to be in the process of dying, holding his chest.  There was nothing there, though, so I drilled out his hand and glued a very small (1/72 scale) mace and painted it to look like a crossbow bolt.  Poor guy, he also appears to have dropped his axe.

A few more typical of this lot, one with a battleaxe and the standard-bearer.  Not sure what use a standard bearer would be in a dungeon, but what are ya gonna do?

Two more.  Most were in mail but a few were not.  Also, almost all of them had shields, but the majority of them were slung over their backs.  These are exceptions.

Some of the shields.  Most were plain wood and turned out nicely.  The rest got hand painting, though of those only a few were not already sculpted to have quartered colors.  And, as always, I went with squiggly dragons because that's about all I am good at free hand!

Next up this week is a mixed collection of undead.  They are 25mm from Ral Partha, relatively recent acquisitions form their last Kickstarter.  I didn't buy them -- my dad went huge into that Kickstarter and then immediately dumped a huge load of undead on me!  Alas for my woes.  The first group are three riders, two Wraiths atop Nightmares and one riding a Hell Hound.  I based these all for outdoor use, hopefully for some games of Chainmail later this year.

The Nightmares and riders from the side.  I was trying for a flame effect on the manes...turned out OK, if not terribly flamey.

These are followed by five Wraiths on foot.  Nothing too unusual here, just your average collection of undead folks hanging out.

I also did a trio of ghosts (or something).  They're pleasant folks, always reaching out for a hug.

From the back.  I tried some color variations for fun, but nothing too weird.

This last guy?  I dunno...he didn't fit in with any of my other batches I have in queue so I just threw him in with this one.  I suppose he could be an anti-paladin or evil hero.  He looks sinister enough.

That's all for this time.  Next up in queue are a bunch of wizards and witches for use with Chainmail and other non-dungeon games.  I'm tracking 37 28mm and 15 25mm figures (counting mounts) for a cool 260 points.  Hopefully I will get back to regular weekly posts.  This one is a little ridiculously long!

_________________________________________

Wow Keith!  What a great post, so much to like here.  That's a great horde of Vikings and lovely work on the flaming Nightmares too.  Great to have you back posting and a wonderful 262 points to the tally. (A couple of extra for conversion and shield painting.)




9 comments:

  1. A fine assortment Keith - those great axes are my favourite. Those fellows look like they are, er, "solutions oriented" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I love those old Ral Partha models. They do take me back. I can't believe I missed the Kickstarter on these! So jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely figs, love the last guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice varied bunch, I do like your freehand dragon!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done, interesting combination of figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look brilliant, Keith. I really like to see dungeon bases for figures, as I have done that myself many times. It takes a bit of extra work, but its well worth it, especially when they've come out as great as yours have. I really like the shield dragons - they will look brilliant on the table top. Great work!

    ReplyDelete