Friday 25 January 2019

From EricM: Napoleonic French (245 Points)

Well I am again tardy with my challenge posts.  So this week is a double dose of the Emperors finest.   Its been quite some time since I have painted Napoleonics so I spent quite a bit of time with my nose in Funken, Haythornthwaite and various Opreys.   I will apologize in advance for any inaccuracies.

The first group I painted over a black primer , these were to finish out a few units I had previously completed.  It was a challenge to go back and use an older (abet better) technique than my current block and wash technique.  These guys are a mix of command, elite company and lights to round out previous units.

All the figures are Front Rank 28mm.   These are amazing figures and my painting does not do them justice. They are really really lovely, in my opinion they are some of the nicest out there (minus the Perry brothers artistry)

Here is the group as a whole.



The grenadiers



The lights


Command and center company.



Close up of the flags.  I am getting too old to paint flags.  I think next time I'm printing or calling the Flag Dude.  (sorry for the picture quality)



I love these figures (I know I know, I have said that about 9 times already)  the huge mistake I made, full dress rather than campaign dress.  I blame this on my rookie status.   I have learned a lesson.

So taking the lesson from the full dress I took the easy path this week and painted some French in greatcoats.   I really love the look, still colorful but not as over the top as full dress.

Here's a picture of the whole unit




Grenadier company


Light company


Here's a close up of the command group and flag



I hope to be more consistent with my postings.  A new job and heavier work load have cut in to my time.  But excuses aside I really love the sense of urgency the challenge creates for me.

Total for this post is 46-28mm figures

Thanks for looking!

__________________________________________________________________

Of points, I could tell you much. But the time is not right. I shall only say that the Emperor is close to having power such as never before – power of world-shattering proportions, you could say. Mark my words, never again will a painter of this Challenge watch a points-bomb in quite the same way. He will stare at that entry and remember that the Snowlord is firmly in control.

Not only do we have 46 new fantassins for the Emperor, but a trice of hand-painted flags to go with them. The flags being tricky, I rate them at 5 points each, for a total of 245. Well on your way to 1500!


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful work Eric! Love the Marie Louises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Napoleonics are still one of the trickiest periods to get right - all those cross-belts and lace and piping. But you've done a brilliant job, especially the flags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don‘t have any clue as to their accuracy but I can tell a good paintjob when I see one. Great work on the Frenchies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rather doubt that you have failed to do them justice,I think they are all splendid! Lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job with a smashing set of colours. Bet they look ace marching across the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great brushwork Eric, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work Eric, looks really good all lined up.

    ReplyDelete