Friday 25 January 2019

From Curt: Alastair Grimsby, 'Titus' and 'Bigby' aka: The Big Bad Wolf (39.5 points)


Hi All,

I thought I'd ride the buzz of the upcoming weekend and roll-out with the Friday Follies.

Here we have the pugnacious Alastair Grimsby and his mastiff 'Titus', minding their business, tending their flock of sheep, while The Big Bad Wolf (or simply 'Bigby', for those who have read the brilliant 'Fables' series) lopes in for a quick spot of lunch.




Both Alastair and Titus have a great, 'What the f*ck. Again?!' look about them. Alastair I believe is an Artizan Design figure, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got the mastiff (pity, as he's a marvellous beast). At first I had them based separately but found that they looked much better side-by-side. I have given Alastair a natty quasi-Burberry car coat, probably a bit too stylish for the Scottish moors, but that's just how he rolls. His original shotgun was a double barrel jobbie, but was so terribly warped that I removed the barrel and gave him a classically simple Mossberg 500.



Bigby is from Heresy Miniatures. This pose is probably my favourite of any werewolf figures that I've seen. I just love the animation of his feral, loping run. Just an awesome mini. I kept it simple and gave him a mottled grey timberwolf look.




The herd of sheep are from 1st Corps. As soon as I saw these online I had to pick one up when we were at Crisis last year. While the overall look is great I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the amount of bubbles and miscast bits. I corrected a couple things but finally gave up and just made do. Still, a great looking and versatile tabletop scatter piece that can be used for games ranging thousands of years. 


Points? Hmm, Bigby is a little over 45mm, so I'd say 7 for him. Alastair and Titus probably another 7, and the herd of sheep for maybe 10? I leave it to HerrRobert to adjudicate.

Thanks folks and remember to come back Sunday to check out the results of the 'Sport' theme round.

Curt

__________________________________________________________________


"I hope you understand what could be at stake here. At the moment we are merely useful lackeys. We are below the level of awareness of those who will assign the points. If these sheep are as useful as they appear to be, we will be richly rewarded. We will be noticed. Some already share my belief that this could be very big."

By my count, there's forty five odd sheep in that herd. As such, I ranked them much like 6mm figures, for a total of 22.5 points. With 5 for Alastair, 5 for Titus (scored as a horse in our after action review), and 7 for Bigby, that comes to a total of 39.5 points.

There, you see, Lord Vader, I can be reasonable. 

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful work mate! I was only looking at that herd of sheep myself today and thinking it was pretty cool. Your version has only reinforced that opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy. It's such a great, versatile piece, even with it's small flaws.

      Delete
  2. Really beautiful, clean work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great as ever! Alistair and Titus really work together as if they‘d been sculpted for this very vignette. Bigby turned out great and I think he impersonates the Werewolf perfectly. The sheeps... well, despite the obviously rather dodgy casting you‘ve done a great job here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nick. Yes, Alastair and Titus needed to be on the same base - they're just meant to be a pair.

      Delete
  4. Lovely shepherd and mastiff, great looking werewolf and super mass of sheep!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely brilliant - I love that werewolf pose too, totally agree it’s the best one out there and my ability to resist it has taken another knock..... that flock looks ace too, must really fill space on the tabletop nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flock! That's right, they're not a herd, but a flock (facepalm). Thanks for the kind words Jamie.

      Delete
  6. Great job dude.
    Painting all of those sheep must have been mental!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. Actually the sheep base is a one piece casting so it was a doodle to paint. Just a load of drybrushing and washes.

      Delete
  7. Thats a cool herd. The werewolf is freaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. Bigby is rather freakish - probably why I like him.

      Delete